ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Corrupted composition?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben BigelowCorrupted composition?
by on Jul 20, 2012 at 11:13:00 pm

Hello cows,

I have a composition that is behaving strangely. If I try and pre-compose it, AE crashes. If I try and copy the layers and move them to another composition, AE crashes. If I even drag the composition around in the project panel, AE crashes. No error messages. All other compositions behave normally.

Doing any editing inside the composition itself is totally fine.

Additionally I can't export this comp...I can add it to the render queue, but when I start the render it the info displays ""Pre-flighting render items. Render items to check: 1"

And then the color wheel of death starts its spinning.

The composition is pretty simple, 152 layers, but nothing's really happening, all are split layers of the same that overlap 1 frame each on the ends. (I'm removing extra frames from a video). They are precomps of other compositions, but many of those are pre-rendered so it shouldn't be a problem. (to give you an idea, the pre-comp that I'm working with as a layer is 2 hours long and takes about 4 hours to render, so I'm not abusing AE, to my knowledge).

Adobe CS 4;
OS X 10.6.8
Comp settings, 1280x630, 30fps
render settings: pro res 422
computer: 2 x 2.8 ghz quad core intel mac / 10GB ram

Have tried with openGL and render multi-frames both on and off. I've reset my preferences and restarted my computer. I've imported my project into another project.

Any ideas? Thank you.

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: Corrupted composition?
by on Jul 21, 2012 at 4:24:41 pm

What format is the video and audio? If it's h.264, mp4, mp3 audio or some other highly compressed format then that's most likely the problem. To fix this you would probably need to convert the video to a more editing-friendly format and then replace the footage in AE.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Corrupted composition?
by on Jul 23, 2012 at 1:23:29 am

I would just download a trial of CS6 and see how the AEP/comps performs.

Erik's provided some pointers but to commit to a thorough trouble-shooting exercise, you'll have to copy-paste layers from the affected comp onto another comp by copying one layer at a time. There are other trouble-shooting schemes but this is the easiest to explain, in writing ;-).

Good Luck

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Ben BigelowRe: Corrupted composition?
by on Jul 23, 2012 at 7:59:01 pm

Thanks guys. My footage is all ProRes 422. I was able to export the comp using the file>export process (to quicktime). It exported fine. In this situation, this will work for me.

Copy/paste sounds good to, if need be I'll try that. Strange though. Yeah CS6 is on the way here.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved