ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Cache Work Area in Background - Very Slow

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David BittermanCache Work Area in Background - Very Slow
by on Jul 20, 2012 at 9:01:44 pm

Is it typical that "cache work area in background" runs very slowly? I can ram preview the clip I'm trying to cache in a few seconds, but I'm only on frame 40 of 121 after several minutes.

Is this typical, or is there something I can do to speed up performance for this feature?

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Cache Work Area in Background - Very Slow
by on Jul 23, 2012 at 1:26:45 am

This is typical - ie "cache work area in background" is designed to work with fewer resources than the foreground requirements. Hence it will be slower relative to a normal RAM preview.

You should use "cache work area in background" when you have lots of stuff to do in the foreground, giving the background reqources sufficient time to cache the required Work Area.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

David BittermanRe: Cache Work Area in Background - Very Slow
by on Jul 23, 2012 at 3:08:53 am

Thanks Roland!

I was watching some video training and the presenter's background cache was working faster than mine even though my machine is always faster than his at other tasks, so I wasn't sure if there were settings that could be tweaked, but thank you for helping me understand the resource management aspect of this.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Cache Work Area in Background - Very Slow
by on Jul 23, 2012 at 4:19:37 am

Not many tutorials are done in realtime, throughout the delivery process. You can tweak AE's memory and MP settings but each comp is rather different. Depending on the type of work you do, you should be able to get a decent-to-good grasp of what settings work well, based on what you're doing.

It's all about getting to know your hardware and the type of work that you're doing. Then make the necessary adjustments as and when required.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Ronald AnzenbergerRe: Cache Work Area in Background - Very Slow
by on Jul 23, 2012 at 3:41:35 pm

i am having similar issues. it seems to boil down to the fact, that writing the disk cache is really slow. i'm investigating this problem, as it seems to make the diskcache useless. are you using ssd drives for your diskcache - because i am not and this might make a difference too (but not that much).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]