ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CS6 crashes with new 5D Mark III footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Schweinert
CS6 crashes with new 5D Mark III footage
on Jul 20, 2012 at 9:41:58 am

Help!!! After Effects CS6 crashes when I try to import Quicktime MOV files from a new Canon EOS 5D Mark III. Tried ALL-I (intra frame) and IPB (inter frame) footage but both codecs crashes After Effects and Premiere CS6.

When I do convert the footage to Cineform 422 everything imports fine. Also native import of old footage from a 5D Mark 2 works fine.

Im working on a 17" MacBook Pro 5.2 (Nvidia 9600GT) with SnowLeopard 10.6.8 and there are no new updates for CS6 to install.

Does somebody else has this problem?

Return to posts index

Daniel Schweinert
Re: CS6 crashes with new 5D Mark III footage
on Jul 20, 2012 at 2:15:13 pm

Yay!!! Just did something real stupid out of curiosity and it works now!

I've renamed the footage from *.mov to *.mp4 and now I can import it in After Effects & Premiere CS6 without problems. And it plays so smooth.

Seems like something is mixed up with Quicktime.

Return to posts index

Daniel Schweinert
Re: CS6 crashes with new 5D Mark III footage - solved
on Jul 20, 2012 at 9:44:52 pm

!!! Just to let you know - I've found the real problem !!!

I have the CineForm codec installed with the GoPro Studio Premium software.

After removing the file "CFHD_MOV_Importer.bundle" (I've put it temporarily on the desktop) I can now import the Canon 5D Mark III without problems.

The file is located in: LibraryApplication SupportAdobeCommonPlug-insCS6MediaCore

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on Jul 21, 2012 at 12:37:11 am

That is quite interesting. I have a similar issue where After Effects will freeze and then the program will flicker (I guess it's trying to open multiple instances of itself?) when importing 5D3 files... I have cineform installed as well. I'll play around with that solution on Windows.

Angelo Lorenzo
Fallen Empire - Digital Production Services
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services.
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

Daniel Schweinert
on Jul 21, 2012 at 12:47:19 am

I've found a thread from 2010 that might help you. Has the same problem but a little bit different. Theres also CineForm involved. You might use the locations for cineform on windows.

Heres the copied text:

Hello Everyone,

This is Josh Bodinet from CineForm. I am on the team that creates CineForm's plugin suite for Premiere Pro. We were alerted to this bug by Zac Lam at Adobe as well as by Jeff Kosmicki, who filed a bug report directly with us. We are currently working together with Adobe to squash the bug. We have isolated the set of conditions that cause the bug to appear and are working with Adobe to completely eradicate it. As this bug will not be fully eradicated until a subsequent public release of Premiere Pro is available that addresses the situation, CineForm is creating patches that will temporarily alleviate the symptoms of the bug for both the Windows and Mac plugin suites (albeit by disabling a few niceties in the UI of our .mov importer that are exposing the bug). To receive a patch, which will become available about two weeks after the date of this post (quicker fixes listed below...), please write to CineForm tech support detailing the platform type for which you need the patch (Windows or Mac) and the codec type of the files being imported when the symptoms of the bug occur. Contact info to our support staff is available at our website http://www.cineform.com/support/

As of the writing of this post it is known that with the *stock* version of CineForm's .mov importer installed, files that make use of the following codecs will not import properly into Premiere Pro:
- ProRes
- After Effects Animation

If you are experiencing difficulty with projects that include files of the above listed codecs and have CineForm software installed, until the patches that CineForm is preparing to address this situation are available (again, which should be about two weeks after the writing of this post) you can perform ONE of the actions listed at the end of this post, which should allow you to work immediately again with the projects that make use of the above listed file types.

If you are experiencing difficulty with projects that include files that make use of codecs *not* listed above, please make an attempt at a workaround regardless. If the workaround works for you, it would be very beneficial to CineForm and Adobe if you might send a short email detailing the codec type that was triggering the issue to our tech support staff as we would like to have as clear a picture of the scope of the issue as possible. We will forward to Adobe any info you send to us pertaining to the bug.

Lastly, if you wish to receive an email when the official patches become available, please contact CineForm tech support via email and let us know.

The above mentioned actions are as follows. Again, these actions are required to get up and running only until CineForm releases the patches; once the patches are available it is recommended to make use of the patches as opposed to performing these actions. Also, performing only one of these two actions would be required to get up and running again immediately:

********************************************************************** *********
Action 1 - manually remove only the CineForm .mov importer from

the plugin install location(s) in the directory structure.
********************************************************************** *********

On Windows, the CineForm .mov importer, which is named CFHD_MOV_Importer.prm, is located in two locations*:
C:Program FilesAdobeAdobe Premiere Pro CS5Plug-insCommonCineForm
and
C:Program FilesAdobeCommonPlug-insCS5MediaCoreCineForm

Navigate to these folders and temporarily move the CFHD_MOV_Importer.prm files to a location completely outside of the Adobe directory structure (though make note of the location where you place the files as, should you wish to again import CineForm .mov files, you will have to replace these files in their original locations). After you remove the .prm files, restart Premiere Pro.

*Note: If you installed Premiere Pro in a location other than this default location, you will have to find the location of the 'AdobeAdobe Premiere Pro CS5' directory and then proceed from there to the plugin install directories listed.
*Note: There is no need to remove the file that is named CFHD_MOV_Importer32.prm. This file is not used by Premiere Pro and does not contribute to the symptoms of the bug showing up.

On Mac, the CineForm .mov importer, which is named CFHD_MOV_Importer.bundle, is located in one location**:
LibraryApplication SupportAdobeCommonPlug-insCS5MediaCore

Navigate to this folder and temporarily move the CFHD_MOV_Importer.bundle file to a location completely outside of the Adobe directory structure (though make note of the location where you place the file as, should you wish to again import CineForm .mov files, you will have to replace the file in its original location). After you remove the .bundle file, restart Premiere Pro.

**Note: The Library directory is the Library of the main drive, not the Library found in each user folder

Action 2 - temporarily uninstall CineForm products -

*** WARNING: NOT RECOMMENDED FOR MAC USERS***

On Windows you can temporarily uninstall CineForm products. To do so, navigate to the directory of the CineForm product you have installed and double click on the uninst.exe file. However, do ***NOT*** deactivate your software by double clicking on Activate.exe. Uninstalling removes CineForm products but leaves your CineForm license in place, deactivating also removes your CineForm license. If you deactivate you will have to go through the entire process of activation again.

On Mac whenever you explicitly uninstall, you also automatically deactivate your license. Thus, it is not recommended to uninstall on a Mac, but rather to proceed with 'Action 1' listed above.

Regards,
Josh Bodinet
CineForm

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]