ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Quadro upgrade question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven J Casey
Quadro upgrade question
on Jul 17, 2012 at 4:07:51 pm

I currently have a Quadro 2000 in a Dell T7500, 12 core 24GB RAM. I'm about to jump up to 48GB RAM. What I can't get my head around is whether I'd see much gain with a GPU upgrade as well. I've read that the Quadro cards are better in the long haul than GeForce, so have been looking at the 4000 and 5000 cards. Big price difference between these two, but I still can't figure out how much performance jump I'd see. Aside from AE itself, would the Red Giant, Zaxwerks, or Element plugins do any better with one of these cards? The more I read about all this the more confusing it gets.

Thanks for any advice.
Steven

Return to posts index

Scott Carter
Re: Quadro upgrade question
on Jul 17, 2012 at 4:45:55 pm

Just FYI. The Quadro 4000 does not play well with some of the video copilot plugins. In order to use optical flares you must disable the "use GPU" function or it will crash AE. Twitch does not seem to like it either. The folks at video copilot are aware of the issue and are currently working on a fix.

Return to posts index

Steven J Casey
on Jul 17, 2012 at 7:44:03 pm

That's interesting. I guess the flip side though is they seem to respond pretty quickly to issues, so will probably be fixed fairly soon. Side note, I've contacted Zaxwerks in the past and literally never received a response, yet their software has been 9 times trouble to 1 time working.

Steven

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Jul 17, 2012 at 8:37:51 pm

[Steven J Casey] "Side note, I've contacted Zaxwerks in the past and literally never received a response, yet their software has been 9 times trouble to 1 time working."

Have you ever tried the Zaxwerks forum? I've always found the people at Zaxwerks quick to respond both on the forum and directly.

I have no affiliation with the company, just a long time satisfied customer.

Return to posts index

Steven J Casey
on Jul 17, 2012 at 10:08:21 pm

Yes, I actually talked to them on the phone and was told the issue would be taken to the programmers for assistance. After that I could not get a response from them.

Meanwhile, anyone else have any thoughts on the Quadro question?

Return to posts index

Jimmy Brunger
on Aug 16, 2012 at 10:40:54 am

update: I have a Quadro 4000 and a recent 1.3 update of Twitch and works fine in CS6 now

-------------------------------
Production Premium CS5.5 - Mocha v1.5
MacPro 3,1 8-core 3.2GHz / 32GB RAM / NVidia Quadro 4000 / OSX 10.6.8
Decklink Extreme+ 3D / 3TB RAID-0 local / 6TB XServe + United Digital RAID on 10GbE

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 18, 2012 at 5:55:46 am

[Steven J Casey] " I've read that the Quadro cards are better in the long haul than GeForce, so have been looking at the 4000 and 5000 cards. Big price difference between these two, but I still can't figure out how much performance jump I'd see. Aside from AE itself, would the Red Giant, Zaxwerks, or Element plugins do any better with one of these cards? The more I read about all this the more confusing it gets."

There are two different kinds of work the GPU can do to accelerate effects rendering: traditional graphics computations (such as via OpenGL), and numeric computation (general purpose computing on the graphics processing unit, or GPGPU, such as with the new OpenCL standard or NVIDIA's CUDA).

Some of the Red Giant effects use OpenGL, as does Element. AE's ray tracer and GenArts Sapphire effects use CUDA.

Looking up CineBench OpenGL scores, there's very little difference among the NVIDIA Quadro and GeForce cards. Looking up AE CS6 ray-tracer CUDA benchmarks, the Quadros are out-performed by the GeForce cards and are significantly less cost-effective.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]