ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Animating an eletricians floor plan

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin EriksenAnimating an eletricians floor plan
by on Jul 17, 2012 at 3:06:08 pm

Hey Creative Cows out there! I'm doing a "simple" animation for a TV Show. It's about an electrician, and they want the floor plans of a floor animated to a dummy voice saying "First we'll isolate the walls, but up two walls and some doors". ANd they want the whole thing animated.

I got the PDF of the floor plan, I separeted the individual layers in Illustrator and brought it into After Effects. But it's like 70 layers for THIS ( ) little sketch, and they're planning to give me more of them over the following winter.

So I need a smooth and stable way of generating the animations necessary for approx. 25-50 different animations. Does anyone have ideas? I've been thinking of the Stroke-effect, but that will take hours, and I am paid for like 2 hours for each animation, so I wouldn't like to go over my schedule as I'm a film student and have a busy schedule in school as well.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Dan FredleyRe: Animating an eletricians floor plan
by on Jul 17, 2012 at 5:11:41 pm

One way is to copy and paste the illustrator paths as masks onto a solid. (I would suggest setting the AICB preference to "Preserve Paths.") Use redefinery's "MasksToShapes.jsx" script to convert them all to shapes. Apply a white stroke. Then apply a trim paths animator and change "Trim Multiple Shapes" to "Individually." This might not be exactly what you want, but it'll get you to a good starting point. Then you can reorder the paths and group them into sections as needed.

Return to posts index

Martin EriksenRe: Animating an eletricians floor plan
by on Jul 18, 2012 at 6:25:23 pm

I found a way after about an hour googling through options. But you had a few tricks up your sleeve I havven't tried out, so I will!

Thank you very much, Dan!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved