ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Suggestions for a portal type effect.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob PorterSuggestions for a portal type effect.
by on Jul 15, 2012 at 1:42:28 pm

So I assume many of you are familiar with the game portal. I am creating a video that involves portals. I know how i would go about doing the basic portals etc, there are many tutorials on Youtube and such. But I have an idea for a more complex vfx shot that, at present time, cannot think how i would go about doing it. I would love to hear your suggestions on how I might go about achieving the result I am looking for.

I want to be following the character with the portal gun (there is already a portal place behind him). He runs towards a wall and places the second portal there. He then goes through the portal and ends up behind where he started. The tricky part... I want to follow him through the portal with the camera.

Any ideas would be appreciated greatly.

Much love.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Suggestions for a portal type effect.
by on Jul 15, 2012 at 6:30:07 pm

I'm having a little trouble imaging what you want this to look like -- if you can storyboard this and show a style frame or two, you will probably get better advice.

In general, I'd probably sneak a transition between the two shots in the moment when the camera itself passes through the portal and cover it with a shimmery portal effect.

Achieving a hall-of-mirrors effect (since the two portals lead to each other) could be done with a couple nested copies of the completed comp.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved