ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

End Credits tips

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Connor CrosbyEnd Credits tips
by on Jul 14, 2012 at 8:52:17 pm

I am creating end credits in After Effects for my short film. It was created in a 1920x1080 29.97 comp. I used the following expression to animate the credits that I found on another forum:

Everything looked good in AE, so I decided to export it with the After Effects default render settings. Then I transcoded it to Pro Res 4444 to work in my FCP sequence. Before I imported it in, I wanted to do a DVD test to make sure it looked good on a TV and other devices. So, I used Sorenson Squeeze 8 Lite and used an elementary stream DVD preset for 16x9.

Once the DVD was burned using DVDSP, I looked at it on my computer - seemed fine. Then I checked it out on a standard def TV and it looked crappy! There seemed to be some sort of aliasing happening. As the credits scrolled, the color of the text sort of faded into random colors (not sure how else to describe it). Is there any way I can fix this in AE or Sorenson Squeeze?

Return to posts index

Angelo LorenzoRe: End Credits tips
by on Jul 16, 2012 at 4:06:48 am

What's your font size? Credits in SD start maintaining readability at 20-24pt and larger. I've seen up to 36pt recommended as well.

It sounds like your television isn't displaying the text with enough resolution because of the size... and you may be getting some after image from the phosphors in terms of the weird colors; the latter can't be avoided because it's just how standard def tvs work.

Angelo Lorenzo
Fallen Empire - Digital Production Services
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services.
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

Connor CrosbyRe: End Credits tips
by on Jul 16, 2012 at 2:53:04 pm

I am using Calibri for the font at size 40px. So, it should be fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved