ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3d stroke tapered broken line

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger Burton3d stroke tapered broken line
by on Jul 13, 2012 at 1:02:40 pm

Hi chaps, I think I have all of the 'quality' settings correct but my tapered 3d stroke is breaking up, this is at a sub-pixel level (ie the taper is so thin it's smaller than a pixel) so no surprise really, anyone suggest the best solution to get rid of the breaking line ... i pixel fast blur seems to do it bit with an obvious loss of brightness in the line ... best Roger

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 3d stroke tapered broken line
by on Jul 13, 2012 at 3:22:33 pm

I hate to ask the obvious, but how do you expect to see a line if it's less than a pixel wide? You need to alter your taper to make it visible.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Roger BurtonRe: 3d stroke tapered broken line
by on Jul 13, 2012 at 3:42:53 pm

Thanks Mr LaRonde ... I appreciate your help ... ideally I want a thin white line tapering to nothing, I understand that because of anti-aliasing when the line gets really thin the pixelation 'breaks up' the smoothness of the line, I can almost solve this with a little blur ... the attached image shows (on the left) my thin line tapering, the line on the right has 1 pixel of fast blur which 'fills-in' some of the gaps but obviously softens the line ... I will go with this (and maybe even mask out the last very very thin bit of the line in order for a nice tidy finish) but wondered if there were a more elegant solution to the problem ...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 3d stroke tapered broken line
by on Jul 13, 2012 at 3:53:19 pm

It's a pretty thin line to begin with, so do the taper closer to the end. Play around with that setting and see what happens.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Roger BurtonRe: 3d stroke tapered broken line
by on Jul 14, 2012 at 6:40:06 am

I'll have a further fiddle with the settings, thank you Dave.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]