ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Colors shift on render

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce Gaber
Colors shift on render
on Jul 10, 2012 at 10:15:02 pm

On rendering, my crisp bright colors become dingy and undersaturated. This is the set-up:

AE 6.0 on an iMac i7, 16 GB RAM

Working with photographs saved from Photoshop with ProPhoto RGB embedded
Project setting working space is set to ProPhoto RGB (note: if the working space is set to none, the images look dingy and undersaturated)
Output module reports the working space is ProPhoto RGB

The images look fine in PS and similarly so in AE. But the rendered image is awful
Tried "lossless" and H.264 and get the same result (not that the codec should matter, but who knows?)

Perhaps I'm missing something totally obvious? But as it stands the renders are so bad I can't even share them with my collaborator

All help very gratefully appreciated

Thanks
Bruce

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Colors shift on render
on Jul 10, 2012 at 11:32:55 pm

Video codecs, at least those I'm familiar with, don't support embedded profiles so your rendered video is going to have its RGB values interpreted through some default profile on whatever player/device you're viewing on.

Most common players/devices will interpret the RGB values as sRGB or a related profile like Rec. 709.

The exact same RGB value will look different in sRGB versus ProPhoto RGB, so if you want your ProPhoto RGB look in an sRGB world you'll have to convert the ProPhoto RGB colors to perceptually similar sRGB colors.

Click on your Output Module in your Render Queue to do this in After Effects. Go to the "Color Management" tab at the top of the panel. Change your Output Profile to sRGB, Rec. 709, or whatever profile best represents the environment you'll be viewing in.

You'll never be able to represent all the colors of a wide gamut profile like ProPhoto RGB in a narrower gamut like sRGB, but you can get close.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Bruce Gaber
on Jul 11, 2012 at 12:15:59 am

Thanks Darby

I tried several recipes and H.264 and Apple RGB came satisfactorily close. I could not locate Rec. 709, so that raise the question of where to find additional profiles with which to play.

Clearly this is not a straightforward issue, not even mentioned in the Meyer text.

Again, many thanks. I think I can send something along to my collaborator now.

Bruce

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jul 11, 2012 at 2:20:36 am

[Bruce Gaber] "I tried several recipes and H.264 and Apple RGB came satisfactorily close. I could not locate Rec. 709, so that raise the question of where to find additional profiles with which to play."

Rec. 709 is titled "HDTV (Rec. 709)" in After Effects.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jul 11, 2012 at 9:49:49 am

i think there's 2.
rec. 709 and rec. 709 16-235. which is ntsc legal but lops off.

Return to posts index

Andy Galloway
on Jul 11, 2012 at 3:55:13 pm

Is your project set to 32bpc? It does make a difference when handling video in After Effects so would be worth a try I reckon.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]