ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Text Rendering

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nolan NordlundText Rendering
by on Jul 9, 2012 at 12:48:23 pm

I'm having some issues with text in a couple of instances. I've been trying to do 3d text with shatter but after applying it, the 3d text layer is always getting some small artifacts around the edges. It simply doesn't render as crisp as the straight text layer. I also have the same problem if I try to apply a stroke layer style to text. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Text Rendering
by on Jul 9, 2012 at 4:39:20 pm

with shatter, that's just the way a custom shatter map gets rendered... custom shatter maps don't support vector, so it is rasterizing the alpha of you text and then extruding that

the work around is to work with shatter in a comp that is 2x larger (or more) and then drop that into the final comp size and scale it down. it's still not perfect, but it does help a lot.

as for the stroke issue, there are 2 instances in which layer style>stoke will do what you are describing. one is when motion blur is enabled and the text layer is moving, the other is when the text layer is 3d and not perfectly facing the camera (ie, at a 3d angle).

both can be solved by making the text as a 2d layer, adding layer style>stroke and then nesting that into another comp where that nested comp can then have 3d ot motion blur (or both) enabled.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Nolan NordlundRe: Text Rendering
by on Jul 9, 2012 at 7:17:40 pm

Perfect, that was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved