ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Isolating reflections on bus advert for mocha replacement

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul GaleIsolating reflections on bus advert for mocha replacement
by on Jul 8, 2012 at 9:24:21 pm

I'm looking at replacing an ad on the side of a bus. I plan on using mocha to track the plane and corner pin in the new ad.

The shot has a reflection that runs down the side of the bus, and the ad although it's not as noticeable as on the shiny red paint of the bus body.

The camera pans to follow the bus (fairly close) and then stops as the bus continues on it's way (in shot). It's as the pan ends that the reflection is most noticeable. The reflection travels down the side of the bus.

Anyone got any tips for either using the original reflection (shomehow separating/isolationg it from the image) or tips on creating a new reflection to match?

Many thanks,

Paul.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Isolating reflections on bus advert for mocha replacement
by on Jul 9, 2012 at 1:41:31 am

The workflow for replacing a reflection is identical to the workflow for replacing an object - two separate tracks. I can't provide anything else more specific without first taking a look at the clip.

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Paul GaleRe: Isolating reflections on bus advert for mocha replacement
by on Jul 9, 2012 at 10:27:18 am

Hi Roland,

This is a source clip of one of the test shots:

This isn't necessarily the clip I will use - just some test footage I shot in prep for the shoot. It was DSLR footage which has been stabilised but nothing else. I may end up shooting with my PMW-350 instead.

Bus side is a little dark but you can see the reflections - replacing the text on the side of the bus with a coloured panel containing text and maybe an animated sequence is what I'm planning. Replacing the original reflections or something generated that helps sell the shot is what I'm trying to achieve.

Oh, there's an HD version on youtube that shows it better.

Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Isolating reflections on bus advert for mocha replacement
by on Jul 9, 2012 at 1:01:19 pm

Hmmmm, kinda PIA to do this but here's what I would do -

1) track with mocha

due to lots of movement on the reflective surface, judicious use of mocha splines will be in order to get a good track. however the edge/outline of the bus should provide good, though not necessarily usable on its own, track - hence multiple splines either on a single layer on on two different mocha layers will be required.

2) use a single frame to create a clean plate as well as the insert element

about 1/3 into the clip is where the side of the bus provides itself with its largest resolution. this is where you export your frame (in AE) and create your backing plate as well as your insert element.

3) use mocha's Align Surface feature
go back to mocha and use its Align Surface feature on the track done in step 1. VERY IMPORTANT - make a backup (copy - just in case) of the track in step 1 prior to applying Align Surface.

4) export mocha tracking data to AE
a)apply tracking data to clean plate
b) apply tracking data to insert element(s)

Up till now, if all is good with the tracking results and your insert elements, the only oddity is (c) the lack of reflections AND (d) the change in the red bus's hue as it drives by.

5) look for stock photos of trees and use that with the tracking data in conjunction with Blending Modes + Opacity. Feel free to duplicate the tree image to create multiple versions with varying Blending Modes and opacity levels to achieve the desired result.

BTW, you should be able to eye-ball the amount of movement required for the reflection (ie the trees). Ensure that the movement is in a precomp and that mocha's Corner-pin data is applied in the 'final comp', as per the other mocha Corner-pin instances.

6) I think I've covered the requirements decently but take note that the technical aspects can only get you so far. The end result really depends on your eye/perception for pace and colour. To this end, you should take note that the job isn't to replicate what was in the original shot but to make things look good/believable.

BTW, do check with the Imagineer Forum - just to double check as well as to enquire on the merits of mochaPro's Remove/Insert Module, which are automated procedures to create Clean/Insert plates.

HTH
RoRK

HTH

Return to posts index

by on Jul 9, 2012 at 1:08:06 pm

That's great thanks Roland.

If you were tasked to do this but had some say on the shot location - would you discount this shot because of the PITA factor? Would you be more tempted with a simpler shot with less/no reflection or would this, if done properly, be worth it for the extra complexity and believability? (if you know what i mean?).

Return to posts index

by on Jul 9, 2012 at 1:31:39 pm

It's certainly doable - the tracking etc. The biggest issue for me is getting a good track especially as the bus moves into the distance.

Which part of the entire process do you foresee being your biggest challenge?

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

by on Jul 9, 2012 at 1:44:14 pm

I've started tracking - not bad so far but you're right about the tracking in the distance as the available pixels are small. With a bit of adjust tracking, it's getting better.

I think the reflections might be the most difficult bit - yet to see how well that would go!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Isolating reflections on bus advert for mocha replacement
by on Jul 9, 2012 at 2:36:12 pm

I'd be tempted to sidestep the issue entirely by assuming the tracked ad on the side of the bus has a matte surface and not a reflective surface. You might be able to sell it with the addition of a little grunge here and there on the surface of the ad.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jul 9, 2012 at 2:45:09 pm

yes good point - or even just a little simple reflection at the points where the reflection on the main bus body is strongest might help?

Return to posts index

by on Jul 9, 2012 at 2:53:45 pm

I don't think a reflection would be necessary on a matte surface. A change in luminance would be, however.

Such a thing could be faked by creating a very long precomp with varying gray scale levels & shapes, then animating it horizontally across the ad while using a blend mode such as Multiply.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jul 9, 2012 at 3:22:45 pm

Thanks for your comments Dave.

For the luminance bit - how would you approach this - manual keyframing based on an average luminance value of the surrounding pixels?

Is there a way to do this by tracking the area that will be replaced, converting that to greyscale and maybe subtracting a clean plate of that area to end up with a luminace map that can be added to the new graphic? does that make any sense?

Thanks,

Paul.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 9, 2012 at 7:45:41 pm

I don't think it would be too tough in your example to figure out where the light & dark portions of the shot lie, and create a precomp accordingly. You should, however, be familiar with how AE lend modes work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jul 10, 2012 at 2:57:15 am

The reflections will sit on the same corner-pin data so it's only one track, albeit not an easy one, for both the insert and reflection.

As Dave has also mentioned, the reflection just has to look believable and NOT replicate the original. This gives you a lot of creative freedom. Duplicates, Blending Modes and Opacity values/KFs should get you there.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]