ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CS6 Ray-trace

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chandra hope
AE CS6 Ray-trace
on Jul 8, 2012 at 6:11:18 pm

Hi there, I have searched the forums for this subject and can't seem to find an answer, I apologize in advance if I missed it somewhere.

I have read up on the new Ray-trace feature in AE and watched John Dickinson's tutorials on the new feature:
http://www.motionworks.com.au/after-effects-cs6-3d-material-template/

I want to take an .ai file created and give it some depth in AE using the new ray-trace features. After exploring I realize it does not accept masks. So does this new feature only work with text and basic shape layers?

I tried copying my .ai outlines as a shape layer, but it does this by creating a mask therefore not giving me the extrude options.

Does anyone know if there is a work around to get my eps or ,ai file in as a 3D object in AE so I can use the new ray-trace features?? I am hoping it is something super silly I am not seeing :) I will keep playing and searching for answers, I will post back anything I find :)

Thanks in advance!

~Chandra

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: AE CS6 Ray-trace
on Jul 8, 2012 at 6:50:26 pm

CS6 can only extrude text and shape layers. You should import the AI file into AE, drop it into a comp and convert it into a shape layer - Layer>Create Shapes from Vector Layer.

An alternative is to select the mask's path property and paste it a Shape Layer's Path property.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Jul 8, 2012 at 6:59:53 pm

Be sure that text is converted to outlines and that each shape is on its own layer and import into AE as a composition (retain layer sizes option is usually best). Then open the composition, select the layers and go to layer>create shapes from vector layer. Then of course make them 3D, set up your lights, camera, etc.

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Jul 8, 2012 at 7:10:32 pm

Here's a quick tutorial on importing Illustrator files to AE:
http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-illustrator-cs6/converting-imported-vector-...

Return to posts index

carlos dee
on Jul 9, 2012 at 6:13:48 am

import your .ai into after effects, then right click on it on the timeline and choose create shapes from vector as shown below

then after that make sure the layer is in 3d then on comp settings change the camera from classic to ray traced then go to your object/shape layer and extrude it like this pic

extrusion depth and thats it put the camera on custom setting 1 so you can see it better

Return to posts index

chandra hope
on Jul 9, 2012 at 4:16:05 pm

wow, thanks everyone! I was about to give up and use the zaxwerks plugin! I've been using AE for a long time, but have never used that convert to shape layers option! I am sooo happy to have learned a new thing. I had attemoted to copy the paths and that didn't work, but the converting to shape layers worked perfectly! Now to get a new graphics card to handle the render haha... 8 hours for 10 seconds! yikes :)

Thanks for all your time! Much appreciated!

~Chandra

Return to posts index

chandra hope
on Jul 9, 2012 at 9:57:30 pm

Im considering the Quadro 4000 for my 2008 Mac Pro, Ive searched and that seems to be the best for using with the CS6 suite. The higher end nvidia cards seem to only work on PC :(, anyone think the 4000 is a bad choice? I am basically fixing up my computer best I can until Apple releases new ones.

Thanks again!

http://www.nvidia.com/object/premiere-pro-cs6.html

Return to posts index

carlos dee
on Jul 13, 2012 at 3:00:50 am

i just got my quadro 4000 today im running a macpro 12core 12gb ram i also have the 5770 and the quadro 4000 im experiencing more lag when i use cs6, i dont know why maybe my settings arent right but im already pissed off!!! >(

Return to posts index

Stuart Smith
on Jul 13, 2012 at 1:55:13 pm

When the 4000 is installed correctly with the correct drivers it's well worth the money, at least we think it is. The decrease in render times is absolutely amazing

Carlos, I'm not sure why yours isn't working, do you have the correct drivers? is your system compatible? Is AE configured correctly? You can download this free app that lets you know the status of your cuda card.

This is a download

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cuda-z/files/cuda-z/Beta/CUDA-Z-0.6.133-SVN...

Let me know if you need any more specific info
Stuart

Return to posts index

Stuart Smith
on Jul 13, 2012 at 2:02:20 pm

Don't forget to clear your cache. CS6 and Cuda uses your cache a great deal

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]