ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Reflect Image/Video in Text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amir BazrafshanReflect Image/Video in Text
by on Jul 7, 2012 at 6:52:00 pm

Hi all,

I'm working on an ident for a client and have some large shiny gold lettering move past the screen. I'd like to be able to have the reflection of an image or a movie on that text. So not behind it - but 'on' it.

I've not been able to find any tutorials etc, so would appreciate any pointers. I'm using AE5.5

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Reflect Image/Video in Text
by on Jul 7, 2012 at 10:46:21 pm

The easy way would be to use ShapeShifter AE from Mettle to create 3d text and use the image as a reflection map.

Here's a method without third party plugins:

Animate your text in 3d using a camera move and not the text layer ( in other words, the text layer is still, just the camera moves). Once you're happy with it duplicate your comp in the Project panel. Open the duplicated comp. Turn the text layer off. Bring in your image (the one you want to reflect in the letters). Make the layer 3d and flip it 180 on Y axis. Take it back in Z space (you will have to tweak this according to the desired effect- the closer it is in z space the more change in reflection you'll have, the farther away- less change) and size it up to fill the frame.
Bring the two together in a master comp and duplicate the text only comp. Use that as a track matte for the reflection comp.
If you want to play with the reflection and still be able to change the camera move you'll have to link the camera from the reflection comp with the one from the text comp and then create sliders in the final comp and link the properties of the text only comp camera to those. You will need one more slider to link the z position of the reflection image layer to it.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Amir BazrafshanRe: Reflect Image/Video in Text
by on Jul 8, 2012 at 12:16:54 am

Holy cow! Thanks so much, thats a great help :)

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: Reflect Image/Video in Text
by on Jul 8, 2012 at 6:39:09 pm

I've done this a few times by setting up expression-linked cameras and even used the sphere effect to create an environment, but that's a very clever and quick way to do it. I'm stealing that one!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved