ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Few CS6 questions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Spencer Tweed
Few CS6 questions
on Jul 6, 2012 at 5:41:13 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm purchasing a few workstations and a few additional with copies CS6 and I have a few questions for those who might know the answers. These stations will mainly be used for After Effects.

Firstly - is it absolutely neccesary to run CS6 on Windows 7? I have a few XP machines lying around, but Adobe lists Windows 7 as the minimum system requirement... (may be a stupid question, but makes a big difference to me)

Secondly - does anyone recommend a specific size/model of SSD to use as a cache drive? I figure it's a good idea to invest in a speedy drive for the Global Performance cache.

- Spencer

Return to posts index

Spencer Tweed
Re: Few CS6 questions
on Jul 6, 2012 at 6:18:52 pm

Okay I have another question as well - what do you guys recommend as far as how much RAM to install? I think I remember somewhere hearing "Xgb of ram per core."

- Spencer

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jul 6, 2012 at 8:05:25 pm

I think I just saw Walter suggest 2-3 GB per core.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Maxx Digital / Areca 8tb. raid
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Spencer Tweed
on Jul 6, 2012 at 8:43:40 pm

Yeah, sounds about right...

- Spencer

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jul 6, 2012 at 8:06:45 pm

Adobe CS6 System requirements...

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/production/tech-specs.html

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Spencer Tweed
on Jul 6, 2012 at 8:50:37 pm

Thanks Tom, but it's my understanding that these are the minimum requirements. I'm just curious about what people think are acceptable standards in their stations (what has worked well for them).

- Spencer

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jul 6, 2012 at 9:03:52 pm

To insure proper functionality of my edit systems, I always follow the specifications & requirements as stated by the software manufacturer. Its just to risky to second guess them ;-)

Tom Daigon
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Kona 3

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 6, 2012 at 10:07:02 pm

The thing is, AE's a RAM hog. Always has been.

The amount of memory you ultimately install has a lot to do with the nature of your AE projects, but let's just say for now that 24 gigs isn't a bad starting point. If you need more, get more.

And if you run Windows, I'd go with Windows 7, too.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Spencer Tweed
on Jul 7, 2012 at 4:42:39 am

Hey Dave,

Wow, sure is a fair amount! I've been surviving/struggling with 3gb for about 2 years now ;)

Agreed on Windows 7, but these stations are only to hold me over for about 6 months so I was hoping I wouldn't need to get into buying things that aren't vitally needed.

- Spencer

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 7, 2012 at 1:32:45 am

I usually recommend 3-4 GB of total system system memory per core; that allows you to allocate 2-3 GB per core in AE's multiprocessing settings and still leave some room for system overhead. You should plan on leaving between 1/4 and 1/3 of your system RAM available to other applications.

Windows XP is not listed as supported [link], so it's very likely that you won't even be able to complete the installation. Also worth noting -- AE CS6 is 64-bit only, and requires a 64-bit OS.

I am using a 240 GB Intel 520 SSD, dedicated to my cache. I've been really happy with the performance, but I don't have any benchmarks to compare it with other drives.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Spencer Tweed
on Jul 7, 2012 at 4:46:27 am

Hey Walter,

Got it on OS and RAM.

On your SSD - are you really using 240gb? I know CS6 will use everything you give it, but do you think it's necessary? I've been looking at about 128gb.

Also, and I know this is pretty subjective, how great is the speed difference? I know you said that you don't have any benchmarks - but how does it feel?

- Spencer

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 7, 2012 at 12:55:23 pm

[Spencer Tweed] "I know CS6 will use everything you give it, but do you think it's necessary? I've been looking at about 128gb."

I'd rather have a 128 GB SSD for the cache than a 3 TB mechanical HD.

[Spencer Tweed] "Also, and I know this is pretty subjective, how great is the speed difference? I know you said that you don't have any benchmarks - but how does it feel?"

Before I got the SSD, I had the disk cache on a fast RAID. They're probably comparable in speed, but the SSD is cheaper and a lot quieter. The constant grinding from the little reads and writes from the cache on my RAID was pretty irritating.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]