ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

need simple technique

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Wattsneed simple technique
by on Jul 5, 2012 at 1:22:03 pm

I have created a 3d virtual set with monitors that have rounded corners. I need to insert a lot of stills and QT movies into these monitors and need a tool to round corners before I use the distort and perspective effect. Can't think of one.

Thanks

Larry

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: need simple technique
by on Jul 5, 2012 at 1:37:47 pm

You could use the Rounded Rectangle Mask tool.

(Optional) If drawing a rounded rectangle or rounded square, do the following before releasing the mouse button:

•To increase or decrease the corner roundness, press the Up Arrow key or the Down Arrow key, or roll the mouse wheel forward or backward.

•To set corner roundness to the minimum or maximum, press the Left Arrow key or the Right Arrow key.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: need simple technique
by on Jul 5, 2012 at 2:23:19 pm

If it's a virtual set, there's a good chance it doesn't move. If you have a lot of videos to put in the monitors, I'd be tempted to carefully cut masks to make holes for the monitor screens.

You'd only have to cut these masks once, as opposed to masking each and every clip you use in the monitors.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin ReinerRe: need simple technique
by on Jul 5, 2012 at 2:51:28 pm

I'd use a precomp with a rounded-corners mask on it. Then just treat that precomp as the screen itself. You won't have to mask each image this way. Also, if you make the precomp the same length as the master comp, AE syncs them. So if you go into the precomp and move the playhead to a new time, you will be at that new time when you go back to your master comp (and vice versa).

Mac Pro 2 x 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
32GB Memory
Dual-channel 4Gb Fibre Channel PCI Express card
Dell Display (23" flat panel)
ATI Radeon HD 5770
AJA Kona LSi SD/HD capture card
Rourke 16 TB
Flanders 2460

SOFTWARE
Mac OS X 10.6.5
FCP 7
After Effects CS5
Boris Continuum
Sapphire Plug Ins
All Trapcode Plugs
Zaxwerks Invig

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: need simple technique
by on Jul 5, 2012 at 5:55:07 pm

[Larry Watts] "I have created a 3d virtual set with monitors that have rounded corners"

What's on the monitors in the virtual set? Maybe you can use it to pull a key to avoid having to manually mask altogether.

Otherwise, you can combine everyone's advice: you could use the Pen tool with Bezier curves [link] on the virtual set, or you could place a precomp on the virtual set, scale it and corner pin it to rough it in, then use ETLAT (edit this, look at that) [link] to lock a viewer on the virtual set while adjusting the rounded rectangles in a precomp.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Larry WattsRe: need simple technique
by on Jul 5, 2012 at 9:41:54 pm

Thanks everyone!
My work brings me back to AE after quite a few years. I started with AE when it was COSA AE! I've always loved it. I'm doing Lynda training on it.

The virtual set has 6 plexiglas monitors on it. The monitors turn on as needed, and when the are on only the QT movie displays slightly inside the curved edge radius. The monitors will be viewed from multiple angles, but as walter said, the set never moves.

In photoshop there is a distort transform and a perspective transform. So far I don'e see an exact counterpart in AE, but with so many in the list, I could have easily missed it.

For now I'm happy with the camera and set both being stationary, but eventually I will be moving the camera, requiring a match move technique.

So for now, in AE:
1. What tool name do I grab to do the same as the photoshop distort tool which allows me to rotate the QT to match the place in 3D space I need to place it?
2. With this new information, which tool (by name) will most efficiently allow me to create a radius (or mask) for the QT Movie?

Thanks again

Larry

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: need simple technique
by on Jul 6, 2012 at 3:42:30 pm

So for now, in AE:
1. What tool name do I grab to do the same as the photoshop distort tool which allows me to rotate the QT to match the place in 3D space I need to place it?

Assuming you have created a precomp for your what needs to go into the monitors. I would use the "Corner Pin" effect to place your videos into the monitors. Alternatively, you could turn these precomps into 3d layers and manually place them over the monitors, but that's probably overkill here.

2. With this new information, which tool (by name) will most efficiently allow me to create a radius (or mask) for the QT Movie?

You could use the pen tool with the RotoBezier check box enabled. Or use the pen tool and as you create each point, drag it the point a little to make them bezier points. If you do that technique you will probably need to adjust the bezier handles afterwards(I never get them perfect on my first shot).

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]