ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

GTX 560 TI or GTX 580 3gb or GTX 680 4gb for adobe cs5.5 and cs6

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tam kwagoGTX 560 TI or GTX 580 3gb or GTX 680 4gb for adobe cs5.5 and cs6
by on Jul 2, 2012 at 4:20:30 pm

I really need help on what to choose. I use after effects and premiere pro cs 5.5 and cs 6 once stable, i dont play games.
I have been reading this article.

http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5.htm

for premier pro and havent seen any info for after effects.

I am choosing from 3 cards gtx 560 TI, gtx 580 3gb and gtx 680 4gb.

My mobo is rampage 3 extreme so it only support pcie 2.0 i have read from other forum that there is not much difference between pcie 2.0 and pcie 3.0.

Im really confused, if the difference is only seconds like lets say, i render

60 secs on gtx560 TI
58 secs on gtx580
55 secs on gtx680

then i'll just go with gtx560 TI and then just buy SSD. If there is a significant difference between those 3 and its really worth it to get the highest and latest GPU then
ill go for it.

Pls guru's i need your help, i only read people saying to get the latest for the sole reason that its the latest and have highest spec but not really helpful.

I just hope i can find more information or real time benchmark on different cards like the studio1productions did. Its so much helpful.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: GTX 560 TI or GTX 580 3gb or GTX 680 4gb for adobe cs5.5 and cs6
by on Jul 2, 2012 at 4:46:36 pm

Check out Juan Salvo and Danny Princz's AE/GPU benchmarks [link].

Please note these benchmarks are specific to CS6's new ray-tracing renderer. Third-party effects like Sapphire and Optical Flares can also process on the GPU, but normal 2D and Classic 3D rendering in After Effects is all on the CPU.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

tam kwagoRe: GTX 560 TI or GTX 580 3gb or GTX 680 4gb for adobe cs5.5 and cs6
by on Jul 2, 2012 at 4:52:35 pm

thats a great link however i dont understand the chart, does it mean that this 570 x3 is better than 580 and 680?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: GTX 560 TI or GTX 580 3gb or GTX 680 4gb for adobe cs5.5 and cs6
by on Jul 2, 2012 at 5:02:47 pm

[tam kwago] "thats a great link however i dont understand the chart, does it mean that this 570 x3 is better than 580 and 680?"

Juan and Danny normalized the data in the chart to the 580, giving the 580 a score of 1.0 and making every other bar relative to that.

Blue bars indicate performance. The longer, the better. The red bars indicate value (performance per cost) -- longer red bars give you more render speed per dollar. In other words, if money is no object, look at the blue bars, but if you're on a tight budget, consider the red bars, too.

There were two different configurations with a 680. One was slower than the 580, and one was faster. Three 570s in a Cubix extender is the raw speed king.

You can compare the raw unscaled numbers in the table, too.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Jul 2, 2012 at 5:11:21 pm

so meaning if money doesnt matter i should go with Three 570s in a Cubix extender?

Return to posts index

by on Jul 2, 2012 at 5:19:52 pm

[tam kwago] "so meaning if money doesnt matter i should go with Three 570s in a Cubix extender?"

Yes, but it has to really not matter, because this configuration would cost almost $4,000 (without including the cost of the computer). If you have free slots for it, you can install more than one 570 directly inside your computer without a need for an expander.

Unless you are doing A LOT of ray-tracing in AE, I think your money would be better spent on a single card for GPU acceleration and an SSD for the disk cache.

Premiere will only use multiple GPUs in a Maximus (Quadro + Tesla) configuration; it wouldn't benefit from the multiple GeForce cards.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Jul 2, 2012 at 5:24:05 pm

so you are suggesting which card?

My case is HAF x full tower
My PSU is ax1200 from corsair
I have 120gb ssd for my OS
another 120gb for my apps
and planning to get 256gb SSD where i put my video files and place to save it.
My processor is i7 950
and my ram is 12gb

Return to posts index

by on Jul 2, 2012 at 6:10:02 pm

I'd suggest the GTX580 for you. The Kepler cards are not yet (officially) supported by Premiere Pro.

As to the storage, I couldn't make a specific recommendation without knowing what kind of work you do.

SSDs are great for things with high IOPS requirements like the OS, apps, and AE's disk cache, but I generally keep my media on spinning disks in RAID5. I can chew through 250 GB on a single project, so I find SSD way too small and expensive to be my only storage option. I generally recommend a combination of the two.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Jul 2, 2012 at 6:19:40 pm

wow this really helps me a lot and in addition i dont think i would benefit from gtx680 since im using pcie2.0 and the difference is just a matter of few seconds.

Now since ssd is expensive, you were suggesting raid 5 of hdd? can you suggest a pair of HDD for raid 5 that would atleast or near SSD performance?

also do i need dedicated raid controller for it? im using asus rampage 3 extreme and what i know is that it has native raid controller.

I know this is out of topic but since you are really helpful enough i'd like to grab the opportunity of knowing the best :D

Return to posts index

by on Jul 2, 2012 at 6:34:19 pm

[tam kwago] "Now since ssd is expensive, you were suggesting raid 5 of hdd? can you suggest a pair of HDD for raid 5 that would atleast or near SSD performance?"

RAID5 [link] requires at least 3 disks.

SSD performance would probably be better in random I/O (small files) than a small RAID5 set, but for sustained reads and writes (large files), RAID5 is competitive or superior.

[tam kwago] "also do i need dedicated raid controller for it? im using asus rampage 3 extreme and what i know is that it has native raid controller."

I prefer external RAIDs, such as from CalDigit, Dulce, G-Tech, MAXX Digital, Stardom, etc., with a dedicated RAID controller such as from ATTO or Areca.

Look over the ads on the sides -- all of the storage vendors that advertise here are good and reliable brands.

[tam kwago] "I know this is out of topic but since you are really helpful enough i'd like to grab the opportunity of knowing the best :D"

I am happy to help.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Edson MonserratRe: GTX 560 TI or GTX 580 3gb or GTX 680 4gb for adobe cs5.5 and cs6
by on Jul 2, 2012 at 11:02:29 pm

[Walter Soyka] "The Kepler cards are not yet (officially) supported by Premiere Pro."

I do have a pcie 3.0 mobo, should I wait a little to see if newer drivers for the gtx 680 improve the performance enough to make that one the better choice?

p.s.: exelent info.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 3, 2012 at 3:50:00 am

if you can wait then it should be a great choice since you already have a newer pcie ^_^ regarding speed if gtx580 is faster it should not be that noticeable and gtx680 is a whole new level :P its just that its not the right choice for me.

just my 2 cents

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]