ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Photoreal Effect By Corridor Digital

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan Robinson
Photoreal Effect By Corridor Digital
on Jul 1, 2012 at 10:42:56 pm

Hi all,

I have been trying to recreate the effect(does this effect have a specific name?) corridor digital used in this video-

I managed to do it pretty decently by tracking a white solid to the ground using AE's new 3d camera tracker, and by using camera mapping, projecting the image onto that white solid. The problem, is that I have to adjust the Image to the same position as it is in the video. That takes a long time and is not perfectly accurate. Also, after using the 3d camera tracker in after effects and create the camera with tracking data, than turn a layer to 3d, it moves its position, which is very annoying. Does any one have an easier solution to recreating this effect only using programs in the creative suite.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
Re: Photoreal Effect By Corridor Digital
on Jul 2, 2012 at 7:11:25 am

I'm not sure if Mocha AE in CS6 has the 3D camera solve option but it could sort something like that out I would imagine.

Return to posts index

Evan Robinson
on Jul 2, 2012 at 1:00:52 pm

What would the benefit be from using mocha to track instead of AE, and how would you got about creating the effect. Mocha for AE does not have 3d tracking.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Jul 2, 2012 at 1:12:22 pm

I've only briefly tested the 3D tracker in After Effects but I've been far more comfortable dealing with tracking data from Mocha. This could be a huge case of learning the new tools inside of After Effects for my part but yeah.

Back to the question - if Mocha AE doesn't have a the 3D Plane Solve module found in Mocha Pro then that isn't an option for you. I'll try to do a quick test of the effect later today.

Return to posts index

Evan Robinson
on Jul 2, 2012 at 1:51:42 pm

The tracker in AE is tracking with average solve error of .31 in this clip I am using, so the tracking isn't the problem.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jul 2, 2012 at 4:01:21 pm

The white solid moving once you've made it 3D is not entirely unexpected since the camera is most likely not pointing in the same direction as the 'default' or 2D camera.

You can select a few track points to create your solid from and then change the solid properties from there. Or you can create Null objects to use as locators and parent your already created solid to them.

I'm less sure what you mean by adjusting the image so that it's at the same position in the video. If the below doesn't help, please tell us more about the problem.

Once you've got your tracked camera you can duplicate your source footage AND the tracked camera. Parent the duplicate of the footage as well as your projecting light to whichever camera is lower in the timeline. Position the light at the same location as the camera [0,0,0] and position the duplicate footage directly in front of the camera by some distance like [0,0,200] (exact amount will depend on your scene scale). At 200 pixels in front of your camera you will need to scale your duplicate footage down until the edges of it exactly meet with the edges of the composition, then switch it over to cast shadows only.

When you want your "photo" to be taken, you need to stop the motion of the lower camera either with an expression or by deleting keyframes. You also should position your white solid to face the camera at this point. The projected image should stick onto the white solid.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Evan Robinson
on Jul 2, 2012 at 5:38:33 pm

What i mean by having to adjust the picture to the video is this. When i make the image layer 3d, it moves position as seen here.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24316879/CreativeCow/made%203d.png

Now i have to adjust the image to video, by scaling, rotating, etc.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24316879/CreativeCow/adjusting.png

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jul 2, 2012 at 8:01:36 pm

[Evan Robinson] "What i mean by having to adjust the picture to the video is this. When i make the image layer 3d, it moves position as seen here.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24316879/CreativeCow/made%203d.png

Now i have to adjust the image to video, by scaling, rotating, etc.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24316879/CreativeCow/adjusting.png"

Unfortunately I can't view dropbox or other file sharing links at work.

Did my suggestion of relocating the solid via a null from a track point (or series of track points) not work?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Ross Shain
on Jul 2, 2012 at 9:21:14 pm

mocha AE v3 does have the 3D camera solve. You can compare the difference to the bundled mocha AE CS and the newer mocha AE v3 here:
http://www.imagineersystems.com/compare-products

The mocha 3D camera solve is different than feature based camera trackers, but for your project might be good because you are looking to solve a select plane in 3D space.

Good luck,
Ross

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems
http://www.imagineersystems.com

Return to posts index

Evan Robinson
on Jul 2, 2012 at 9:43:58 pm

I have mocha AE cs6, which does not come with 3d tracker. Look again. There are 3 versions, i have the one on the right.

Return to posts index

Evan Robinson
on Jul 2, 2012 at 10:20:09 pm

I don't know if you understood my problem, and what you said to do did not work. What is the point of having two cameras? The problem, is that the image i am projecting is not in align with the video, and i can't get it in the exact same position as the video.

Return to posts index

Evan Robinson
on Jul 2, 2012 at 10:32:57 pm

These are the two pictures. Once i make the image layer 3d, it moves it out of position like this

Now i have to reposition the image to the video like this

Return to posts index

Evan Robinson
on Jul 3, 2012 at 2:08:52 am

Thanks,

I just found a way to get the effect done perfectly:)

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jul 3, 2012 at 2:15:03 am

[Evan Robinson] "
Thanks,

I just found a way to get the effect done perfectly:)"

Glad to hear it. I'm sorry that the solution I offered earlier confused you. It worked great for me.

The images you posted looked like incomplete solutions, did you end up using parenting at all or did you find another solution?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Evan Robinson
on Jul 3, 2012 at 2:39:24 am

I did not wind up parenting at all. I found a way to easily position the image to match the video

Here is the final effect

Return to posts index

Eddy Bergman
on Jul 25, 2012 at 12:48:51 pm

I just wrote a tutorial for this effect which you can read here:
http://aftereffectstutorials.blog.com/2012/07/25/corridordigitals-photoreal...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]