ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

No realtime RAM previews with AE CS6

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danny BiandoNo realtime RAM previews with AE CS6
by on Jul 1, 2012 at 7:05:10 am

Hi All,

I have a trial version of AE CS6 and for the life of me cannot get RAM previews to run in real time. Rendering is great, the app is tremendous, but no real time RAM previews. The system:
2010 MacPro 5.1
Lion 10.7.4
12 cores
32 Gigs RAM
Quadro 4000 with Cuda drivers
Matrox MX02 mini with Max for monitoring
System drive 7200 sata
Work/projects 7200 sata
Media is raid 0, 2 TB, 7200 sata internal
Capture drive is 4TB raid 0 G Raid, firewire 800
All current updates, drivers.

I have tried everything I can think of but no luck. Media Cache on Media raid, project files on work drive, clips on G Raid. I have given cache up to 500 Gigs. Various combinations of RAM to AE and machine,
no programs running in background, tried moving cache and clip locations, etc. Did all machine maintenance, everything checks out OK. The AE is a trial version with updates. My test project are two text blocks on black background, which I just move from one side of frame to the other with no audio. Composition is 30 seconds in length. Odd, but I can reduce work area to just a few seconds and still no realtime previews. Quality settings all tried, but whatever I do, 29.97 plays out about 21 to 24 fps as does 59.94. Composition settings have been 1080i and 720p. Journaling turned off for all but system drive. No viruses. Every preview attempted plays back at less than real time.

Any thoughts?

Danny Biando

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: No realtime RAM previews with AE CS6
by on Jul 1, 2012 at 8:27:35 pm

The Matrox system is likely interfering with RAM preview. Disable playback through the Matrox system and try again.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
product manager, professional video software
After Effects team blog
Premiere Pro team blog

Return to posts index

Danny BiandoRe: No realtime RAM previews with AE CS6
by on Jul 1, 2012 at 10:41:53 pm

Hi Todd,

Thanks. That was it. And unfortunately it opened up a little can of worms. It seems the 2.x Matrox drivers will work with FCP 7, CS5 and least they do on my system. The 3.x drivers written for CS6 do not support FCP7. In fact the latest iteration of them only supports CS6 PPro and Media Encoder. Apparently nothing else including AE. No WYSIWYG, etc. There is some discussion of that in the Matrox forums. Their solution is multiple boots, one for FCP 7 and such using 2.x and another for CS6 using 3.x. Not very appealing to most people I would think. I want to use FCP 7 along with CS6 so unless Matrox gets off the dime and writes a proper driver, I will have to go with the IO Express.

So the bottom line is even with the latest Matrox drivers, I cannot use the hardware for monitoring AE CS6 output in real time. The Matrox doesn't show up in the list of video devices for monitoring. I can go back to 2.x and get monitoring, but not in real time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved