ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Keeping track of PreComps

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Parsons
Keeping track of PreComps
on Jun 29, 2012 at 11:16:10 pm

I often find myself having a PreComp within a PreComp within a Precomp within my main composition so when versioning I have to duplicate 3-4 sequences just to be sure I'm not accidentally changing a PreComp for version 2 of an animation that's also being used by version 1. The problem is this gets very confusing very fast because I end up having a tone of comps to keep track of.

I try to stay organized by keeping to a specific naming convention but I'm still not happy with how many comps I'm juggling.

Here's how I've been naming:
Animation 01 – This is the main composition
Animation 01 | PC 01 - This comp is in the main composition
Animation 01 | PC 01 | PC 01 - This comp is in the [Animation 01 | PC 01] comp

If anyone has any suggestions for keeping track of PreComps so you know which other comps they're being used in I would appreciate the advice. Is there a way to delete the PreComps from the Project window so they can only be accessed by going into the comp that they're being used in? In Final Cut Pro if I have a Nest within a sequence and I duplicate the sequence and change the Nest in the new sequence it does not affect the Nest in the first sequence, is there anything like this in AE?

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
Re: Keeping track of PreComps
on Jun 30, 2012 at 5:45:14 pm

Here's what I do:
- In your main comp, select the pre-comp you want to duplicate and hit ctrl/cmd+D to duplicate it.
- With the duplicated pre-comp layer selected, right-click on the layer and choose "reveal layer source in project".
- Hit ctrl/cmd+D to duplicate the pre-comp in the project window and then alt+drag the duplicated comp into the comp viewer window to replace the layer and then hit enter to open the pre-comp.

- Select the pre-comp layer inside of that pre-comp, right-click on the layer and choose "reveal layer source in project".
- Hit ctrl/cmd+D to duplicate the pre-comp in the project window and then alt+drag the duplicated comp into the comp viewer window to replace the layer and then hit enter to open the pre-comp.
- Make whatever changes you want.
- Ctrl/cmd+W two times to close the two open pre-comps and return to your main comp.

I do this all the time and with a little practice it's very quick and easy. As long as you name the comps with a two-digit suffix on the end it will increment the comp names correctly when you duplicate them.

There is also a script called True Comp Duplicator from aescripts.com that duplicates comps and their sub-comps that they contain.

HTH

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
Re: Keeping track of PreComps
on Jun 30, 2012 at 6:10:25 pm

Just found out the shortcut to reveal the layer source in the project window is alt+numpad enter. Even faster!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]