ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Big Hair in the gate

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oli LyndaleBig Hair in the gate
by on Jun 29, 2012 at 11:02:08 pm

Hi Guys,

I have looked through the forums and tutorials and cant find any decent advice on this issue.

I recently shot a 30sec promo on 35mm. When I got the rushes back from processing I was filled with joy to discover a monsterous great big hair in the first 4 setups.

Despite the fact I am going to kill the camera assistant, I have no choice but to use this footage. I am by no means a pro with after effects but I can find my way around and I was just looking for a good tutorial or plugin that could help me remove my unwanted friend. Tutorial wise, i could really do with a relevant layman's walk through if masking etc is the best option, please advise.

The hair is static but there is movement in the shots and the details it covers are mainly background and fairly simple.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Kind regards

Return to posts index

Jeff HinkleRe: Big Hair in the gate
by on Jun 29, 2012 at 11:49:17 pm

If the background is constant and indistinct, and you have a clean plate from later in the shoot, you could layer your clean plate on top of the hair and use the pen tool to draw a feathered mask around the part you need to cover. If the hair is small/thin enough and your background isn't too detailed, you might be able to get away with that. Hard to say without seeing the shot.

If your backgrounds simply won't match, there's always the tedious approach of using the clone stamp tool in After Effects, or opening your movie in Photoshop and stepping through the frames, using whichever retouch tools you're most comfortable with. I'd suggest making your camera assistant do it. Good learning experience.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Big Hair in the gate
by on Jun 30, 2012 at 3:16:50 am

Try the CC Simple Wire Removal effect.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved