ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Continuously Rasterize, Collapse Transofrmations, and Accept Shadows. AND effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trevor Hansen
Continuously Rasterize, Collapse Transofrmations, and Accept Shadows. AND effects
on Jun 29, 2012 at 8:18:58 pm

Hey everyone,
I've spent too much time trying to figure this out, so I was hoping someone could help.

Here's how it goes:

I've got one composition, we'll call "Map". Inside it are hundreds of vector layers (from an AI file), which are all set to 3D, and all have Accept Shadows turned on.

That comp is nested inside another comp we'll call "Main". Inside that comp, from top to bottom, is a Camera, a Spot light (with Casts Shadows on), a white solid (set to 3D, with Cast Shadows on), and the Map comp (also set to 3D, with Accepts Shadows on).

Right here, everything looks fine, and the solid is casting its shadow on the map. However, when I zoom in with the camera (depth of field off), the vector images of my map become pixelated. I go into the Map comp and turn on Continuously Rasterize for all of the vector layers, and then back in the Main comp, I turn on Collapse Transformations for my Map comp. Now the vectors look crisp, but the shadow from my solid is gone. I've tried every combination, but I can't get the right result:

Collapse Transformation on, Continually Rasterize on: smooth vectors, but no shadow
CT on, CR off: shadow, but jagged vectors
CT off, CR on: shadow, but jagged vectors
CT off, CR off: shadow, but jagged vectors

Is there any way for me to have smooth vectors AND a shadow from my solid? What am I doing wrong?

ACK! So after typing all of this, I just went back and realized that if I keep both CT and CR on, and turn off the effects for each of my vectors, then I get smooth vectors and shadows. I have the Tint effect on each of my vectors, the amount of which is assigned to an individual slider control. I need to keep these effects on each vector, as they will all have different Tint amounts.

Is there any way I can get smooth vectors, a shadow from my solid, AND effects on my vectors?

Return to posts index

Trevor Hansen
Re: Continuously Rasterize, Collapse Transofrmations, and Accept Shadows. AND effects
on Jun 29, 2012 at 11:40:19 pm

Couldn't find a solution for it, but I did find a workaround that I thought I would share with anyone having the same problem: a Shadow Catcher.

Check out the last comment here for an explaination:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1005128

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]