ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Error importing illustrator files

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly LawerError importing illustrator files
by on Jun 29, 2012 at 10:57:04 am

Hi,

I asked our contract illustrator to produce 15 illustrations at 1920x1080. He has given one ai file with all the elements in.

I have opened this in After Effects but I get a message about cache (unable to allocate space for a 0x0 image buffer).

Also, when I import the ai. file as comp, I get a list of ai. files within it, which when I click on them, opens then up, but just to a gray screen. No image, nothing in fact - no canvas or anything.

Is it something I can doing wrong? We did specify that each element should have layers (for a person, an arm, leg etc on on separate layers) - should I just be able to click in the ai file and see these layers?

I want to check I'm not doing something wrong before I ask them to sent again correctly.

Also, the file size at 1.1mb worries me as surely it would be bigger for 15 x 1920x1080 illustrations?

Thanks

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: Error importing illustrator files
by on Jun 29, 2012 at 5:51:39 pm

Check the color mode and be sure it's RGB and not CMYK. The layers need to be at the root level in the file, not within another layer, for AE to read them as separate elements when you import as a comp. When you import it you should have a composition, plus a folder with all of the layers, which you can double-click to open in a footage window to view. The small file size is totally normal since vector files tend to be much smaller than a similarly sized raster file like a psd. HTH

Return to posts index

Olly LawerRe: Error importing illustrator files
by on Jun 30, 2012 at 4:30:00 pm

Thanks.

I asked him to sent separate files. He did. I tried one just now. No error, but the folder in the comp only has one file (layer). He swears that he has separated them. Don't know what else to try other than import as comp!

Any ideas?

Haven't got illustrator to check.

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

by on Jun 30, 2012 at 5:14:59 pm

If you want to upload one of the files I'll take a look at it for you.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 30, 2012 at 5:55:03 pm

Thanks. Can I ping it to you via email?

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

by on Jun 30, 2012 at 6:39:48 pm

I'm a little leary of posting my email on a public forum, even this one, but you can upload it to this dropbox:
https://dropbox.yousendit.com/CC-Dropbox

Return to posts index

by on Jun 30, 2012 at 6:43:37 pm

Brill, just done. Thank you!

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]