ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Any ideas on how to do this effect?...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie ReaderAny ideas on how to do this effect?...
by on Jun 28, 2012 at 11:48:08 pm

Hi Guys,

I've seen an effect on a video that I can think of some uses for in future videos but am struggling to pinpoint exactly how the effect has been achieved.

Here is the video:

And the effect happens when A$AP spits around 00:34 - I cant really describe so it please check it out and you'll know what I mean.

Any help on achieving a similar effect would be really appreciated!

Many Thanks

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Any ideas on how to do this effect?...
by on Jun 29, 2012 at 12:29:40 am

There's at least 3 things going on in that shot.

1. Slowed footage. You can do this with Timewarp, which ships with AE, or another plug-in like Twixtor or Kronos.

2. Rotoscoping. The character in the front sits on top of the effect, so you'll have to separate your subject from the background.

3. Funky color separation effect. This could be done in a few different ways. It looks like they basically passed the footage into AE's 3D Glasses effect to generate an anaglyph version of the footage. You could, however, create a more robust effect by using 2 copies of your footage.

Apply the "Solid Composite" effect to both copies. Set the blending mode on the effects to Multiply and lower the Opacity of the effect to 50% (a good starting place, you can change it later). Set the top layer's blend mode to Add. You can then choose 2 arbitrary colors instead of Red/Blue or Red/Green for your effect. Move the layers to get the separation.

Also it looks like they scale/move the background and subject footage some and blur the background.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved