ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Roughen Edges on animated 2d text.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andreas HavnegjerdeRoughen Edges on animated 2d text.
by on Jun 28, 2012 at 6:45:25 pm

Greeting people of CreativeCOW.net! First time poster and trying to learn myself AE!

So i've been following this tutorial that uses roughen edges on 2d text. And i wanted to step things up a bit and animate the text.

So i'm asking if there is a way to make roughen edges stick to the 2d text so it looks the same from the first frame to the end.

And if this isn't possible, is there any alternative to make the text look rough? Using a rough looking font wont do it.

Try to ignore my "englais", thanks :)

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Roughen Edges on animated 2d text.
by on Jun 28, 2012 at 7:15:58 pm

I don't understand, if you just apply Roughen Edges to your text it's a static effect until you start animating it. If you don't keyframe anything, won't it "stick" to your text?

But if need a different way to roughen your edges check out how Andrew Kramer creates his chalk and letters by using a texture & track mattes. Blueprint Reveal

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Andreas HavnegjerdeRe: Roughen Edges on animated 2d text.
by on Jun 28, 2012 at 7:26:48 pm

It won't. And it's not animated. It just wont move, at all.

Return to posts index

Dan FredleyRe: Roughen Edges on animated 2d text.
by on Jun 28, 2012 at 7:45:29 pm

You have to precompose the text before applying the effect.

Render order for normal layers: METL (masks, effects, transforms, layer styles).

Render order for continuously-rasterized layers: MTEL (masks, transforms, effects, layer styles).

This means the effect will be applied after the transforms -- so position and scale will have no affect on the effects applied to text layers, shape layers or any other layer that is continuously-rasterized. Precompose it without collapsing transformations and apply the effect to the precomp.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 28, 2012 at 8:02:24 pm

That's what i did (i think). I precomposed the text layer, then applied roughen edges to the precomp.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Precompose it without collapsing transformations" tho.

Return to posts index

Dan FredleyRe: Roughen Edges on animated 2d text.
by on Jun 28, 2012 at 8:25:11 pm

There is a little symbol that looks like an asterisk--make sure that box is empty. But beware that this turns the text into a raster layer instead of a vector layer.

Make sure you don't push the precomp scale in the main comp above 120% or the edges won't be sharp. It's better to make a huge precomp by increasing the size of the text layer in the precomp and keep the precomp layer in the main comp's scale less than 100%.

Adobe help about render order and collapse transformations:
http://adobe.ly/LE7nUm

Definition and image of collapse transformations:
http://adobe.ly/NH5G9b

Return to posts index

by on Jun 28, 2012 at 8:45:23 pm

Thanks for your input, i'm a little wiser on AE now. But it didn't solve my problem.

Right now, is just seems like roughen edges doesn't work this way.

I would still love if anyone knows how to do this, with roughen edges or something similar that can achiev close to the same results.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Roughen Edges on animated 2d text.
by on Jun 29, 2012 at 3:22:31 pm

roughen edges doesn't really stick to the layer like many other effects. it has it's own offset value that kind of maintains a center point for the fractal texture that is distorting the layer...

you can use an expression to link the offset to the layer's position so that they move together (and apear static).

adding this expression to the offset property in the roughen edges effect would work for position:

transform.position*400/effect("Roughen Edges")("Scale")

if you adjust the layer's position the roughen edges should stick. it will not work with rotation or scale, though the layer's scale could probably get worked into the expression.

an easier way is to add the transform effect after the roughen edges effect, and use the transform effect's properties to do the animation. then it sticks no matter what.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Jun 29, 2012 at 4:38:54 pm

There we go!

Adding the transform effect solved it.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Erik BulckensRe: Roughen Edges on animated 2d text.
by on Oct 7, 2013 at 12:28:55 pm

Hi,

I have a similar problem but in this case I'm moving a camera along the layers (3D). I precomped the different text layers but this doesn't solve the problem. Is there an expression I could use to solve this. I tried the expression suggested but it returns an error, I'm not used to using expressions :-)

Thanks,
Erik

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]