ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

trapcode particular - split clip duration problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ondrej Haneltrapcode particular - split clip duration problem
by on Jun 28, 2012 at 3:46:23 pm

I have a strange thing going on in one of my projects. I am using particular 2 and AE cs5.5 to create pollock-like brush strokes (so lots of splashing).

Long story short - I have around 30 different splashes as particles and I want to animate each one of them (using chocker effect to emulate ink like effect). Therefor I created a composition with these splash animation sequences as a texture source for particular and used the split clip method.

However I have found one weird thing - anytime the texture composition with splash animations is longer than one minute the whole thing breaks down - so any random particle animation starts in the middle of the sequence and continues throughout some other sequence - particles flicker (just random switching), sometimes they just disappear waaay before their life is over and so one. It just does not make any sense.

It looks like particular just cant split longer sequences correctly. I tried different numbers of animations and different duration of the texture composition, always with the same results - all above one minute just goes crazy.

I did very simple test - 3x 30s sequence in a texture composition = 1:30 composition with three clips 30s. I set the particular to split the comp into 3 clips and set the life of particle to 30s. See here

Funny part is that some particles start as they should (you can see the reversed chocker effect), some dont (you can see how the particles switch at around 15s - meaning their sequence started not at 0s but lets say 15s - wtf???)... so it looks like particular randomly splits the clip each time it places an instance of a particle disregarding the beginning of the composition and starts the splitting just somehwhere in time.
So that looks like the sequences just dont start where they should and whole spliting is wrong.

Again - this is happening when the texture composition is longer than one minute. If it is shorter, everything works as it should. But that's not what I need.

So the question is - is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Return to posts index

Ondrej HanelRe: trapcode particular - split clip duration problem
by on Jul 2, 2012 at 7:37:24 am

So I did not find any solution, therefor I just made the particle composition in duration of one minute and used stretching and subframe sampling to make the particles look ok.

It's not perfect solution, but its the only I have found.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved