ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

See only the effects applied to a layer, not the layer itself

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Parsons
See only the effects applied to a layer, not the layer itself
on Jun 28, 2012 at 1:59:10 am

Is there a way to hide a layer so that only the effects applied to it are visible?

I'm trying to add a glow to some text but I'm using the text as a track matte for a fractal noise layer so when I add the glow to the text, the fractal noise layer bleeds out to wherever the glow is. I was hoping to just be able to duplicate the text layer, add a glow effect to that, and then hide the layer except for the glow.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: See only the effects applied to a layer, not the layer itself
on Jun 28, 2012 at 2:45:36 am

[Dustin Parsons] "I was hoping to just be able to duplicate the text layer, add a glow effect to that, and then hide the layer except for the glow."

You could either use another duplicate of the text layer as an inverse alpha matte for the glowing text layer, or you could add CC Composite after the glow effect to the text layer and set it to Silhouette Alpha.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dustin Parsons
on Jun 28, 2012 at 6:04:57 pm

CC Composite isn't working for me, when I set it to Silhouette Alpha it hides the entire layer including the glow. The other method worked, I created 2 more text layers, added the glow to the bottom layer and set it's trackmatte to the top text layer and the blend mode to Alpha Inverted Matte.

Thanks Walt!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 28, 2012 at 6:51:01 pm

[Dustin Parsons] "CC Composite isn't working for me, when I set it to Silhouette Alpha it hides the entire layer including the glow."

CC Composite needs to be applied after (below) the Glow effect.

[Dustin Parsons] " I created 2 more text layers, added the glow to the bottom layer and set it's trackmatte to the top text layer and the blend mode to Alpha Inverted Matte."

Glad you've got it working.

Another option, instead of track matting, would have been to use the Set Matte effect (inverted matte, based on the alpha of the track matte for your fractal noise layer). You could also use the Set Matte effect on the fractal noise layer, so you only have a single text source to control both effects.

If you must use multiple track mattes, consider using the pickwhip to create expressions which connect the duplicated texts' Source Text properties back to the original text layer -- this will allow you to change the text in the original layer once instead of three times.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dustin Parsons
on Jun 28, 2012 at 7:52:28 pm

[Walter Soyka] "CC Composite needs to be applied after (below) the Glow effect."

Got it! Thanks, I prefer this method as it doesn't generate as many layers to keep track of.

[Walter Soyka] "You could also use the Set Matte effect on the fractal noise layer, so you only have a single text source to control both effects."

Even better. Here's how I have my layers stacked now:

[Text Layer]
Effect: Glow
Effect: CC Composit

[Fractal Noise Layer]
Effect: Set Matte

Thanks Walter!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 29, 2012 at 3:08:03 pm

You're welcome, Dustin.