ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Oldschool In/Out Panel arrows gone? What now?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert King
Oldschool In/Out Panel arrows gone? What now?
on Jun 26, 2012 at 12:24:56 am

Ok, I have been using AE for a good while now but I recently got a classroom in a book to cover some stuff I didn't know. Well apparently there used to be two double sided arrows on either side on the toggle switch's/modes button at the bottom.

Using these arrows is all over the classroom in a book, can someone tell me were they have gone? Have they been completely removed from AE or is it an optional thing now. They are used to activate in and out time duration's and opening advanced settings on scale, position,rotation, etc...

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Oldschool In/Out Panel arrows gone? What now?
on Jun 26, 2012 at 2:29:08 am

I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to, but there have been no changes n recent versions that match what ou seem to be describing. Could you give an exact quote from the book that describes what you're referring to? Or, better yet, show screenshots from the previous version illustrating this feature?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
product manager, professional video software
After Effects team blog
Premiere Pro team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jun 26, 2012 at 2:35:44 am

Cmon Todd, why'd you take away the advanced scale stuff...lol

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Robert King
on Jun 26, 2012 at 3:18:34 am

"In the TimeLine window, click the double-arrow in the lower bar of the window to open the In/Out panel." That's an exact Quote, I couldn't find a screen shot of it so I made on just for the record the little black arrows at the bottom I drew in as well but they are printed in the book and control the "In/Out Panels"

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Jun 26, 2012 at 6:41:43 am

[Robert King] " They are used to activate in and out time duration's"

This is correct but the activation point isn't a two-sided arrow but a set of in-out braces. They are the extreme right icon, in the 3-icon group at the lower left of your timeline.

This same activation routine, however, does not have any relation to the transform properties that you mentioned - perhaps you should double-check the book on this.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Robert King
on Jun 26, 2012 at 1:27:35 pm

In my book those arrows do the same thing that, the in out button you just showed me, thanks for that by the way does. but in another section of the book it says to

"With the Scale property visible in the Timeline window, click the arrow to expand the scale property. Two graphs appear, the Value: Scale and the Velocity: Scale. Currently, the rate of change in the velocity: Scale graph is constant (linear) between the two keyframes."

If that arrow isn't opening a transform property on scale then I am confused...

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jun 26, 2012 at 2:08:26 pm

I can't remember when this changed, but those graphs are located under the graph editor now. In your composition, the last icon looks like a sin wave over a graph, that accesses the graph editor. Click on the proerty you would like graphed and it will be displayed in the graph editor.

The second pulldown of the editor will determine whether you view your graph in terms of value or speed.

Adobe Help Graph Editor

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Jun 26, 2012 at 2:14:13 pm

[Robert King] ""With the Scale property visible in the Timeline window, click the arrow to expand the scale property. Two graphs appear, the Value: Scale and the Velocity: Scale. Currently, the rate of change in the velocity: Scale graph is constant (linear) between the two keyframes."
"

There have been many refinements and additions to the After Effects UI over the years. If I'm not mistaken, the arrow referred to in the above text refers to what is now known as the disclosure triangle.

The old UI, circa After Effects 4 or 5 (not CS5, CS 6 is actually version 11 by the old nomenclature) had a speed graph and limited control over keyframes, the new UI has the Graph Editor. To reveal it click on the keyframed property name (Scale for example) then click the Graph Editor icon.

For tips on using the Graph Editor see:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/mylenium/graph_editor.php

Return to posts index

Robert King
on Jun 26, 2012 at 2:35:43 pm

Thank you guys, I do believe this covered everything I was needing/talking about. I really appreciate the help. Now I actually understand what it is talking about, and can carry on with the lessons. Thanks again to both of you.

Return to posts index

Robert King
on Jun 26, 2012 at 2:36:15 pm

All three of you guys* Sorry about that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]