ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Shift key flowchart reveal - CS6?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy Brunger
Shift key flowchart reveal - CS6?
on Jun 25, 2012 at 10:53:56 am

Hi all,

Just recently UPG'd to AE CS6 and whilst the memory improvements are amazing I've noticed a weird problem relating to when you tap the shift key to reveal the flowchart so you can quickly navigate back up your parent comps....I use this ALL THE TIME and in CS6 it seems to be real pot luck if it works!

It almost feels like my shift key is broken, but same issue with 3 different keyboards and 2 diff machines.

Is anyone else noticing this? Using CS6 v. 11.0.1.12 on Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

HELP!

-------------------------------
Production Premium CS5.5 - Mocha v1.5
MacPro 3,1 8-core 3.2GHz / 32GB RAM / NVidia Quadro 4000 / OSX 10.6.8
Decklink Extreme+ 3D / 3TB RAID-0 local / 6TB XServe + United Digital RAID on 10GbE

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
Re: Shift key flowchart reveal - CS6?
on Jun 25, 2012 at 6:15:20 pm

I'm not seing this behavior, though I've disabled "Use System Shortcut Keys" in General Preferences.

In other words, I'm getting the expected behavior.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jun 26, 2012 at 3:04:25 am

There's a preference in the text preferences file for setting to duration of a press that counts as a "tap" to being up the composition mini-flowchart. Search for "tap" in the text preferences file and set the number higher or lower to suit your tap speed. Be sure to only edit the file when After Effects is closed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
product manager, professional video software
After Effects team blog
Premiere Pro team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Jimmy Brunger
on Jun 26, 2012 at 9:14:57 am

Hi Todd,

I'll try that, but what basically happens is I'll go into a comp and then 95% of the time I'll tap shift key (tried diff speeds and holds and same behaviour) and it takes several persistent taps until I can get flowchart up. When its done it once it then comes up no problem. But it takes quite alot of incessant jabbing in each new comp until it starts working.

I then tried going back into a comp I'd already done to see if it worked first time, but same story everytime I go in. It's almost like AE is lagging behind and needs a little while to register it's in that comp before it will work. I go back into CS5.5 and works fine.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
James

Decklink Extreme+ 3D / 3TB RAID-0 local / 6TB XServe + United Digital RAID on 10GbE

Return to posts index

Steven Kutny
on Jul 18, 2012 at 2:49:01 pm

Hi Todd,

I'm experiencing the same lag as the other's in this forum. I modified the preference file like you suggested but nothing has changed. The default was only set to 0.2 seconds but when jumping between comps the delay can be as long as 10 seconds or more. This seems like a cs6 bug because I've been using that feature since it was created and it's always responded without delay. I've also tested this on several new systems both PC and Mac with the same results. Thanks in advance for for your help!

Steven Kutny
Digital Artist
http://www.stevenkutny.com

Return to posts index

Paul Slemmer
on Jul 19, 2012 at 1:03:41 am

Regardless of tap length, mini-flowchart reveal didn't always work for me in CS5.5. Since we moved to CS6 last week, it has worked only after clicking around in a comp for awhile. Now it's stopped working completely. Literally, any time I would've saved with hash cache I've spent clicking on composition tabs!

Return to posts index

Jimmy Brunger
on Jul 19, 2012 at 9:40:16 am

(kind of) glad other people are also having this problem, but do we have a solution guys/Todd?

As Paul says - alot of the time saved by not having to re-render RAM prevs is now being spent manually searching or revealing comps within comps to find parents via the project panel....bit of a pain!

Please let us know if anything else we can try to sort this, or if a point release is in the works...

Cheers,
James

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jul 19, 2012 at 7:50:35 pm

We're looking into it.

The best thing for you to do is to submit a detailed bug report including specific version numbers for the application and OS so that we can find a way to reproduce the problem:
http://adobe.ly/ReportBug

product manager, professional video software
After Effects team blog
Premiere Pro team blog

Return to posts index

Steven Kutny
on Jul 19, 2012 at 8:04:00 pm

Thanks for the response Todd. If it helps any, the lag is most apparent in heavier projects with many nested compositions and effects applied. In smaller projects with less comps it seems to work better. Oddly enough, if I were to jump into several nested comps and click on the mini-flow shortcut next to search bar it opens the flow immediately. So far, this method has been my work around but I'd still love to get back the snappiness of tapping shift.

Steven Kutny
Designer/Compositor

Return to posts index

Dan Fredley
on Jul 23, 2012 at 5:40:16 am

This problem is bothering me as well, so I submitted a bug report. My current workaround is to temporarily enable CAPS LOCK, hit Shift, select the comp, then disable CAPS LOCK. Still a pain, but it works for now. It definitely seems to be the new caching feature hanging it up.

I work with a lot of nested R3Ds, so it seems to never work correctly for me as it is always caching in the background.

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Aug 7, 2012 at 8:50:37 pm

Same issue here, although sometimes it works, I have to tap it several times before it actually responds. When I open CS5 or CS5.5 it works at the first time.

Adobe, you really dropped the ball with CS6, it's FLOODED with bugs all over the place, from not being able to copy from one comp/application to another, to the multiprocess render being completely disabled, this issue with the mini flowchart is just the cherry on the cake, since I upgraded to CS6 I spend more time finding workarounds to all your bugs than working.

Fix it NOW, it's very frustrating to pay lot of money and receive a substandard product in return.

I reported several other bugs to your bug report form and so far NOTHING has been fixed, so what's the point?

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Aug 24, 2012 at 1:32:01 pm

Anyone got an update on this issue? It's bugging me a lot.

Return to posts index

Jean-Michel Boublil
on Sep 14, 2012 at 4:32:27 pm

Same here...
Super annoying, also using the caps lock workaround..... ALso some of my comps which were created in CS5 somehow look different on CS6, what the hell adobe... seems the continuous rasterize is buggy somehow!
anyone experiencing the same??
Was hoping to be able to only maintain CS6 on a fresh install machine, would hate to install CS5 again.

any input/thoughts are appreciated.
jm.

Return to posts index

Steven Kutny
on Oct 12, 2012 at 1:49:43 pm

Hi Todd,

I was excited to install the latest update for CS6 today (11.02.12) but unfortunately I'm still experiencing the same frustrating lag using the shift key flow chart. Any word on a future fix for this?

Thanks,

Steve

Steven Kutny
Designer/Compositor

Return to posts index

Joseph Kutilek
on Oct 19, 2012 at 2:42:14 am

Please fix this. I use this flowchart for navigating and my shift button is tired of being abused.

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Oct 19, 2012 at 5:36:27 pm

In my experience the shift key shortcut works fine with small projects that have not many comps nested into others, as soon as the file gets a little complex or you have a comp that is nested several steps the shortcut stops working.

I submitted a bug report too, twice I think.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 22, 2012 at 6:40:25 pm

Everyone who is having this problem:

Try disabling the showing of cache indicators (deselect Show Cache Indicators in the Timeline panel menu) and see if the problem persists.

After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Paul Slemmer
on Oct 22, 2012 at 6:53:05 pm

That's it! Now that you mention it, a quick test shows that any time the cache indicators haven't finished loading, flowchart reveal doesn't work. Once they've loaded, it works just as well as it does with indicators shut off. (Does this mean we get a fix? Those indicators are almost as helpful as the flowchart.)

Paul Slemmer
Motion Designer, VeracityColab
pslemmer@veracitycolab.com | http://www.VeracityColab.com

Return to posts index

Steven Kutny
on Oct 22, 2012 at 7:11:20 pm

Wow, that fixed it! I just did several tests with two different heavy projects and each passed. Can't believe I missed that switch before, thanks for narrowing this down Todd, much appreciated.

Steven Kutny
Designer/Compositor

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Oct 22, 2012 at 7:08:05 pm

The cache indicators are crucial for work, some comps take 3 seconds to ramp review, some others take 5 minutes, I can't disable them and not know how far I am from having a preview ready. Is there any other way or a bug fix in the works?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 22, 2012 at 8:32:40 pm

If you don't want to turn off the cache indicators, you can just use the other method for invoking the composition mini-flowchart, clicking in the Composition Navigator control at the top of the Composition panel.

Yes, we're working on a fix. No promises about when it'll be available.

After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Federico Ponce
on Sep 9, 2013 at 7:56:01 pm

Use tab instead of shift.

Return to posts index

martin fujak
on Sep 13, 2014 at 2:07:10 pm

Yeah, for all that come to this post and have CC -

The tapping of the Shift key to open the Composition Mini-Flowchart has been replaced by pressing the Tab key.

via
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/04/whats-new-changed-after-effects...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]