ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE and Vegas Rendering Workflow Retardation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin SeiduleAE and Vegas Rendering Workflow Retardation
by on Jun 24, 2012 at 10:48:49 pm

I shoot on a Canon DSLR (600D) at either 30 or 23.936 fps at 1920 x 1080.

I use a mic on the camera for a reference track, and a Zoom for the actual sound track.

Here's where I am potentially being an idiot...

I move the Canon clip into Sony Vegas Pro, and drag in the Zoom sound clip. I sync the sound and then delete the bad video sound. Great.

Now I render it out using quicktime, no compression so I don't lose anything. My original file is about 2 gig. My rendered file is now 30 gig. Ouch.

Now I bring that into After Effects, add effects, titles, and color correction, and render that out using Quicktime, no compression. 30 gig. Ouch.

Now I bring that into Sony Vegas again, add my music tracks, play with sound levels, etc.

I render that out for YouTube as a .wmv, as I found that's a faster render, least amount of loss, and least amount upload time. We're back to 2 gig.

Yes, this has got to be retarded, and I am sure it all falls down at the sound sync render.

Assuming this is the correct forum, can anyone offer me some some guidance before I spend days mucking around with this?

And as always, thank you.

Kevin

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: AE and Vegas Rendering Workflow Retardation
by on Jun 25, 2012 at 7:29:42 am

If you render uncompressed you'll get huge files. Try making a motion jpeg or png compressed quicktime to bring the size down a bit.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: AE and Vegas Rendering Workflow Retardation
by on Jun 25, 2012 at 2:40:10 pm

in addition to those codecs, apple's prosres 422 or avid's dnxhd would be good options too... dnxhd is free from avid and works with quicktime on both mac and pc.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: AE and Vegas Rendering Workflow Retardation
by on Jun 25, 2012 at 4:39:26 pm

As the others have suggested, you may want to try one of the Motion JPEG Quicktime formats. I've had very good luck with Motion J-peg A at 90 percent quality. It holds up very well, and is way smaller than say, QT Animation uncompressed.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Kevin SeiduleRe: AE and Vegas Rendering Workflow Retardation
by on Jun 27, 2012 at 1:40:53 am

Well thank you all.

I think what I will do is just try rendering using all the different CODECs and see what happens.

I am really trying to get my workflow down to sound sync, edit, after effects, etc., then just render, without all the interim rendering...seems like a lot of wasted time and space.

Also, I may have a logic error, thinking the 600D raw material comes in at say, 2 gig, and I should be able to render out at about the same size, not 5 or ten times the size.

Any, additional comments are welcome, and thank you all for the direction.

Best Regards,

Kevin

Return to posts index

Michael MurphyRe: AE and Vegas Rendering Workflow Retardation
by on Jun 27, 2012 at 3:20:16 am

> Also, I may have a logic error, thinking the 600D raw material comes in at say, 2 gig, and I should be able to render out at about the same size, not 5 or ten times the size.

It comes in compressed. If you stayed in Adobe Premiere and After Effects, for example, you would not have to transcode or render in between steps.

But as long as yopu have to transcode, redner, or export as an immediate step, you need to use an uncompressed codec, or at the worst a loss less compression. Otherwise you are introducing additional compression artifacts at each step of the way.

Sort of like importing a JPEG, then re-saving the file as a JPEG over and over again while editing. You are progressively destroying the image data.

So in Photoshop, for example, you read in a JPEG, then store as a DNG or Photoshop file, until final output as a JPEG for the web, or a print, etc.

Storage is cheap right now. I just bought some Seagate Barracuda 2TB drives for $110 each. I have an external 3TB USB drive that was $150 about 6 months ago.

There are probably cleaner workflows, but if you can afford to get rid of intermediate renderings when you are done with a project (won't have to revisit intermediate steps, etc.), it is only a temporary hit with multiple files.

Good luck!
Michael

Best,
Michael

Return to posts index

Kevin SeiduleRe: AE and Vegas Rendering Workflow Retardation
by on Jul 9, 2012 at 8:24:34 pm

Thank to you all for your advices and good tips.

I have bit the bullet and moved to Premier Pro and an AE workflow. Sooooo much better than the interim Sony Vegas stupid render cycle.

I am still messing around with integration from AE to PPro, but all in all, I can see now how I can just pull my footage into PPro, no interim renders, and do a final render and save MEGA room.

I also just purchased a 3TB drive for backups and whatnot.

Again, thanks to all.

Regards,

Kevin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]