ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Changing color of single object, other things

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan WagnerChanging color of single object, other things
by on Jun 23, 2012 at 3:44:22 am

Hey guys, the three shots in this video:

are supposed to take place in the same location, but due to time constraints I had to shoot them at three different places. Does anyone have any advice on how I could alter this scene to make it seem like this is all happening at the same place? I'd like to change the color of the blue house in the second shot to match the brown house in the first, but despite a bunch of a googling i haven't yet found a tutorial to help with that. Any help with that and any other suggestions would be super rad to hear

Return to posts index

Angelo LorenzoRe: Changing color of single object, other things
by on Jun 23, 2012 at 5:23:02 am

Get ready for a lot of work. Basically you'll want to rotoscope the girl out of the second shot... or rather, you're creating a rotoscope mask so a color effect doesn't change the girl's clothing.

You can do the above in After Effects or, with a little more effort, in Speedgrade. What you'll want to do, in the very basic sense, is apply a Hue/Saturation/Brightness to shift the blue to brown. Plugins like Colorista with it's secondary color selection (allows you to just select the families of blue color for instance) should be able to help you with the adjustment with a little more finesse then applying the effect globally.

Angelo Lorenzo
Fallen Empire - Digital Production Services
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Changing color of single object, other things
by on Jun 23, 2012 at 8:55:08 pm

You can use a color range key to select the blue of the house and create a mask for color correction. Of course you will need to roto the girl out- a garbage matte should do. You can then use Hue/Saturation or Change to Color to try and match the houses. I think that you'll have a hard time with the texture of the house.
Can you get a still camera and take a picture of the area around the door straight on? You could then bring that in AE, make it 3d and match the camera perspective, match the grain of the footage, track and match the camera shake and you're good to go.
One more thing- to really match the 2 you would need to add a white door on the front of the house in the first shot.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved