ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Holding y axis whilst bezier curving x and z axis'

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Freeman
Holding y axis whilst bezier curving x and z axis'
on Jun 22, 2012 at 3:04:47 pm

Hi guys,

This might be just me missing something really simple, but is it possible to hold the y axis (say at 540) whilst still manipulating the x and z axis'. I know you can separate the position properties in the animation dropdown, but you loose the ability to use the bezier handles.

The problem I have is that when I use the bezier handles to make a smooth animation I find the y axis bobs up and down annoyingly on either side of my keyframe. Not normally a problem, but I'm animating a null along a path (as the camera point of interest), and if it moves on the Y it wrecks the look. The only way I can get the bezier handles to not do Y bend this is to use the 'top' view and work the handles from there... (the same way I use to get rid of the boomerang effect)

Would an expression help me out here do you think? Forcing the Y to a set figure?

Although I've been using After Effects for 8 years or so, I'm self taught and I always have the sneaky suspicion I've missed something from the basic's book! Sorry if I have.

Thanks guys,
Sam

CS6

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Holding y axis whilst bezier curving x and z axis'
on Jun 22, 2012 at 4:19:45 pm

[Sam Freeman] "Would an expression help me out here do you think? Forcing the Y to a set figure?"

Nice approach. Alt-click the position stopwatch and enter the following expression:
[transform.position[0],transform.position.key(1)[1],transform.position[2]]

This expression works with your keyframes, always use the current values for X and Z, and it will always the value for Y from the first keyframe on the layer.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Sam Freeman
on Jun 22, 2012 at 4:54:45 pm

Thanks Walter - as always, you're the man!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 23, 2012 at 3:12:17 am

You're welcome, Sam.

I should mention that this expression will not affect the motion path itself -- that's driven by the key frames -- so the motion path will show Y axis movement that will not occur in preview or render. Working with this expression may be a little confusing unless you keep that in mind.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]