ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Create a 360º grunge background

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nuno Marques
Create a 360º grunge background
on Jun 22, 2012 at 11:01:01 am

Hi all.

I am rather stuck with this one. I know I can import files and use them as textures. I have been working this way for a bit now. But my background is always a bit static and limited. Don't want to run off the textured background :)

My question: is there any way to create a half-spherical "environment" in such a way that I am at the center of the sphere, standing on the floor, and everything around me (floor and sky) have a grunge look?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: Create a 360º grunge background
on Jun 22, 2012 at 1:57:42 pm

Hi Nuno -

This could be the best 99 dollars you ever spend! It does just as you describe, and quite a bit more:

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/all/trapcode-horizon/

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Nuno Marques
on Jun 22, 2012 at 1:59:54 pm

As a student, I'm not very inclined to spend money on stuff. As an enthusiast who is willing to take this a bit beyond mere schooling, I think I'll take up your advice. That is, of course, if no one offers a "cheaper" solution :)

Thanks for the input. Always helpful.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jun 22, 2012 at 2:53:43 pm

Bear in mind that any investment in software that you make while you're a student will help you to earn more when you're not a student any longer.

Also bear in mind that you can often find fully legal copies of the Red Giant Trapcode Suite, which includes Horizon and a LOT more, for almost the price of just Horizon, on Ebay. You have to shop carefully, and make sure the feedback on the seller is very good, then email them to verify that if the software is not the real thing, you will get a refund. It sounds like a pain, but I ended up getting legal copies of the Trapcode Suite, Effects Suite, and Magic Bullet Suite, for a fraction of the full price - and they're legal.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Nuno Marques
on Jun 22, 2012 at 2:56:51 pm

Wow. I had never considered that. It's actually quite a good idea. So far, everything I have bought has been from the makers' websites. I wish I had run in to you sooner :) Could have saved me a ton of money.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jun 22, 2012 at 3:00:34 pm

Not nearly as handy as Horizon and a quite a bit more render intensive, but a useful script that will do some of what you want. pt_Panorama, a name your price script.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jun 23, 2012 at 9:01:22 pm

Here's a free one- it will take your effort to watch and learn and then replicate, but then again, it's a worthy investment and what else do you do as a student...:

http://after-effects.wonderhowto.com/how-to/build-360-degree-cube-world-wit...

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Nuno Marques
on Jun 26, 2012 at 2:24:57 pm

Sorry for the delay in the reply. I bought a copy of horizon and am loving it. But I did take a look at this tutorial (all 4 parts) and loved it. I was actually able to replicate it quite easily. I did have a problem setting up Pano Cube free version, but all fixed now. To be honest, I even found this way, although more complicated, to show better results. Thanks for the tip!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]