ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Too heavy footage for Multiprocessing ???

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Janos ErdmannToo heavy footage for Multiprocessing ???
by on Jun 22, 2012 at 1:13:46 am

Mac Pro 2 x 2.4GHz Quad Intel Xeon
ATI Radeon HD 5770
36 GB RAM
AE CS 5.5 and 6 on OSX

I am trying to render several PAL 4-minute compositions with pretty large video footage. The footage clips are 9000x4000px, max. 8 sec, 1 -2 GB file size. No more than 10 Clips in a composition. No effects - only basic transformation.

I really want to use Multiprocessing for the final render, but I keep getting Error 86§2 in CS5.5 or Error 26§142 in CS6. The render process starts of with all aeselflinks at 70%, but after 100-400 frames they all go down to 1% and only the foreground keeps working.

For the last 4 days I have tried all sorts of MP Settings, purging frames, different footage codecs (photo-jpeg, Prores, Animation)...

If I turn off MP, everything works fine, no errors, but reeaaaaaally slow. Is it possible that Multiprocessing with 3GB/CPU is simply not enough RAM for each CPU to handle this kind of footage? Has anyone had similar issues before?

Return to posts index

Angelo LorenzoRe: Too heavy footage for Multiprocessing ???
by on Jun 22, 2012 at 2:20:36 am

Chances are, yes it's a RAM issue with multiprocessing. You may just have to disable it OR you can try the following:

1. Hold down shift while opening edit > preferences > general

2. On the left, select "Secret"

3. Try disabling Layer cache and set the project to purge every 1 frame. (adjust to taste, if it helps processing speed)

It may or may not work for you. If it does work, send Adobe a bug report since this menu isn't suppose to be used; After Effects should be handling workloads better. http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/04/send-feedback-about-after-effe.h...

Angelo Lorenzo
Fallen Empire - Digital Production Services

Return to posts index

Janos ErdmannRe: Too heavy footage for Multiprocessing ???
by on Jun 22, 2012 at 10:30:55 am

Yeah, I had tried disabling the layer cache.

I just tried this little tweak to assign 4GB and even 5GB to each background process:
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/734343?start=50&tstart=0

But still no change. I guess this is just another example of a project that just doesn´t work with multiprocessing.

Return to posts index

Angelo LorenzoRe: Too heavy footage for Multiprocessing ???
by on Jun 22, 2012 at 3:31:36 pm

It might be worth breaking the project down and pre-rendering elements that you use often within the video.

I agree that multiprocessing just doesn't get along with some projects. I have a few plugins that will instantly crash any multiprocess render, for instance. It's tough.

Angelo Lorenzo
Fallen Empire - Digital Production Services

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]