ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to key out the white bg in this footage?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon HuttonHow to key out the white bg in this footage?
by on Jun 19, 2012 at 7:20:29 pm

I've got a bunch of footage of dogs shot on this white screen, unfortunately most of the dogs are white themselves, any ideas on going about pulling a key from this?

i.imgur.com/IIeJx.png

Return to posts index

Angelo LorenzoRe: How to key out the white bg in this footage?
by on Jun 19, 2012 at 7:36:31 pm

Is the camera static and do you have any clean frames of the background? You might be able to pull a difference matte and use that for the brunt attack, but it will take rotoscoping... a lot of rotoscoping.

Keyers like Keylight don't do well with luma keys, they're designed to work from the differences in saturation in each color channel. Primatte is similar, but it uses a weighted color matrix.

Angelo Lorenzo
Fallen Empire - Digital Production Services

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to key out the white bg in this footage?
by on Jun 19, 2012 at 9:16:11 pm

Sorry, but the link doesn't work: can't see the still.

White dogs on a white background? Yow. Personally, I'd figure out a way to use the background rather than get rid of it.

The reason: even if Rotobrush would work on a shot like this, it would still take long, painful hours to get the images looking right.

And I bet the dogs were all over the place, too. You know what they say about working with animals and kids.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jun 19, 2012 at 9:26:47 pm

Dave, I just copy/pasted the link. Creative Cow's link parsing broke it apparently. Without seeing the image, your assessment is still fair I'd say.

Angelo Lorenzo

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to key out the white bg in this footage?
by on Jun 19, 2012 at 9:42:41 pm

I appreciate the effort, but all I see is a web site for all things RED: no doggies. My computer isn't the best, either.

I realize the dogs and the background are probably different variations on white. But if you ask me, this gent's dilemma is like trying to pull a key of Kermit the Frog shot on green screen.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jun 19, 2012 at 10:13:34 pm

http://i.imgur.com/IIeJx.png may work... OP needed to include the http:// in front.

Angelo Lorenzo

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: How to key out the white bg in this footage?
by on Jun 19, 2012 at 10:50:06 pm

The fact that they draped white over the green seems to indicate to me that the end result is expected on a white background. If that's the case then the question becomes: why do you need to key at all?

If they want the dogs on any background but white then I'm afraid that you're in for a lot of roto work.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Jon HuttonRe: How to key out the white bg in this footage?
by on Jun 19, 2012 at 11:22:17 pm

Yes I thought there must have been a reason as well, especially since I have done another 5 episodes of these music videos for them that were all on the green screen, so I e-mailed asking, is there some special reason for this? No is the answer, and no one could give me a reason why they did it. Looks like I'll be working for pennies on the dollar for this one.

Return to posts index

Greg NeumayerRe: How to key out the white bg in this footage?
by on Jun 20, 2012 at 1:25:58 am

I'd try a luma matte or a difference matte first, but either way I'd be making a pot of coffee to go with my evening. I feel your pain. It doesn't matter how many people suggest better pre-production--we're usually lucky if we know the thought process before it gets to post. :)

Antifreeze Design
http://www.antifreezedesign.com

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: How to key out the white bg in this footage?
by on Jun 20, 2012 at 1:33:21 am

Rotobrush will be the most productive tool to use. Hopefully the shots aren't too long and you don't have multiple dogs on screen that cross over each other during the shoot.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Kevin ReinerRe: How to key out the white bg in this footage?
by on Jun 20, 2012 at 1:45:53 pm

If they had done it correctly in the past and the results you provided were good, then why did they make this huge change? I would tell them that it is going to take 3-4 times longer because they chose to do it over white. Then negotiate with them from there. If this is a repeating job, you have to play your cards right to ensure future work, but you definitely want to impress upon them that this was a huge mistake. Often the only way to do that is by asking for more money.

I bet you wish you could reach through the screen and rip that white sheet off the wall. Unfortunately there still is no plugin for that.

Good luck. Find some good roto music. Jimi Hendrix always works well for me.

Reiner

Mac Pro 2 x 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
32GB Memory
Dual-channel 4Gb Fibre Channel PCI Express card
Dell Display (23" flat panel)
ATI Radeon HD 5770
AJA Kona LSi SD/HD capture card
Rourke 16 TB
Flanders 2460

SOFTWARE
Mac OS X 10.6.5
FCP 7