ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3d stroke to integrate with other objects in 3d space

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
josef Atlestam3d stroke to integrate with other objects in 3d space
by on Jun 19, 2012 at 1:48:36 pm

Could be a simple solution maybe but i can't get around this issue:

I have plenty of keys-out elements in 3d space and i want my 3d stroke to go behind and in front of objects and it seem to just cross me all over.

I tried with the "particle streak thing" but i same thing happened.
Any ideas?
thanks

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: 3d stroke to integrate with other objects in 3d space
by on Jun 19, 2012 at 2:22:52 pm

Unlike Particular you can't set obscuration layers with 3D stroke, you have to accomplish it using the Z Clip Front and Z Clip Back.

So to get 3D stroke to wrap around 1 object, after you created your stroke animation, you would duplicate the stroke layer. One layer would be the "Back Layer", it would be placed below your object in the layer stack and you would use the "Z clip front" to cut off the stroke when it would be in front of the object.

The "Front Layer" would be placed above the object in the layer stack and you would use the "Z Clip Back" and set that number to cut the stroke off when it's behind the object.

These 2 numbers should be the same, so that these 2 strokes will look like one stroke when you are finished.

I have uploaded a VERY simple project illustrating this technique: 4306_3dstroke.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

josef AtlestamRe: 3d stroke to integrate with other objects in 3d space
by on Jun 19, 2012 at 10:23:39 pm

Thanks! Is there a work-around for particular, as the nano lightstreaks commercial?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: 3d stroke to integrate with other objects in 3d space
by on Jun 19, 2012 at 11:05:37 pm

Under visibility, you would use the obscuration layer pulldown. Check out this tutorial.
Red Giant QuickTip #49: Trapcode Particular and Obscuration Layers

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]