ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

C4D Object buffer to After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Townsend
C4D Object buffer to After Effects
on Jun 19, 2012 at 8:18:30 am

Hi,

I've rendered out a scene from Cinema4D with multi pass as PSD sequence. I've imported the image sequence, ambient occlusion and shadow passes in fine.

I now need to get the alpha channel created from the object buffer in but can't seem to figure out how?

When I open one of the PSD sequence files in photoshop I can see the 'Object buffer1' in the channels palette so it's there but I just don't know how to get it showing in after effects.

Cheers,
Steve

Return to posts index

Dan Fredley
Re: C4D Object buffer to After Effects
on Jun 19, 2012 at 3:45:26 pm

It sounds like you rendered it to a multi-layer file instead of its own image sequence. You'll either need to set up a Photoshop action to extract the object buffer to its own layer so that it becomes a pure black and white image then save it out to its own image sequence or you'll need to render it out of Cinema 4D as its own image sequence. I would probably opt for rendering it out of C4D. Uncheck "Multi-layer file" and choose Multi-pass and add an object buffer. Then choose the number of Object buffer you would like to output. If you have more than one you'll need to add an object buffer for each one and set the number in the single option. Then you can use these black and white image sequences as luma mattes in AE.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 19, 2012 at 4:39:39 pm

C4D's renderer is a little bit dumb in that it can't render an object buffer pass without also rendering all the geometry and shading. If you want to render an object buffer pass quickly, temporarily disable all the lights in your project.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 19, 2012 at 4:39:25 pm

And/or delete materials.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Stephen Townsend
on Jun 25, 2012 at 8:25:28 am

Doh! If only I'd seen this before I'd start rending out the Object Buffer again as it's own sequence as advised!

I disabled everything else and thought that it would be enough to make it a quick render but it's evident that it's done as you mentioned and still rendered all the lighting. I'll know for next time at least although I'll also remember to not do a multi-layered file!

Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jun 20, 2012 at 12:05:26 am

If you only have one object buffer pass then it should be the first alpha channel in your PSD and you can interpret it as the alpha channel in After Effects.

If you have more than one object buffer I'd recommend creating a Photoshop action to split the additional channels out into RGB data in their own Photoshop sequences.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Paul Marshall
on Dec 18, 2013 at 4:22:46 pm

If like me you've stumbled on this thread a year later looking for answers, I eventually sussed out myself that in the Render Settings of C4D you need to also check the Compositing Project File tick box in the Save tab underneath the Multi-Pass Image save tick box.

With the Target Application set to After Effects you'll get a separate buffer alpha file.

Been bugging me for a very long time, I knew it had to be possible without re-saving the channel for every frame.

Return to posts index

Max Jackson
on May 26, 2014 at 1:49:45 am

Paul, just want to say a quick THANK YOU for posting this quick thread reply.

Been doing a simple tutorial on this to the letter that was done using an older version and the Object mattes were not coming up. Was really not looking towards posting another noob post on a forum but couldn't for the life of me figure what I was doing wrong.

Again, it was that dang 'Switch X!'

Return to posts index

Paul Marshall
on May 26, 2014 at 9:43:11 am

I don't post solutions often, more likely to be hunting for them.

But when you've cracked something that's been driving you insane it only seems fair to share!

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]