ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CONVERTING PAL FCP Project to NTSC DVD?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Brown
CONVERTING PAL FCP Project to NTSC DVD?
on Jun 18, 2012 at 10:55:06 am

Hi folks,

This has been answered in the past but lots has changed since then, so here I go again:

I have an 18 min. short with only one cut in it, very little movement and only a few simple titles that I need to deliver a preview on NTSC DVD for a few festivals (there are still some that only take NTSC DVDs for preview, believe it or not). I shot on 1080p and made the Pal DVD by exporting it to ProRes 422 at 720x576 16:9 – no problem so far. The DVD SP 4 manual claims that DVDSP can encode Pal footage to NTSC if you import Pal to an NTSC DVDSP project (we're talking SD of course). No dice, asset not accepted.

I have tried to export the sequence from FCP7 to NTSC 720x480 16:9 @ 29,97 fps, but QT will not play it properly (the frame rate varies constantly during playback and the image has the typical jumps every second or so, so I'm aware that my footage has not really been transcoded).

Do I need to send this to a lab that is properly equipped (which would barely be worth the trouble) or can I handle this myself?

MacBook Pro, OS 10.6.8, FCP 7 & DVD SP4

Thanks for your suggestions ;-)

Michael

Michael Brown

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: CONVERTING PAL FCP Project to NTSC DVD?
on Jun 18, 2012 at 12:33:04 pm

Perhaps you've posted in the wrong forum?

RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Michael Brown
on Jun 18, 2012 at 1:19:55 pm

What do you know, so I have. Thanks, Roland.

Michael Brown

Return to posts index

Juan Manuel
on Jun 18, 2012 at 8:28:44 pm

Get your Pal prores master into compressor (or maybe Adobe Media Encoder if you have it) and convert it using one of the ntsc dvd templates. Make a test with a small part of your short film (ideally, one with the most motion) and see how it ends. You'll want to use the best options in the frame controls. YMMV, but you should be able to get satisfactory results.

Return to posts index

Dick Osso
on Jun 27, 2012 at 8:34:27 pm

Hi Mike
I read a year ago POSTING that you had a huge issue with DVDSP4 and the crashing of IMAGE BUILD.

I am having the same issues....I am out of ideas and who to turn to.

Can we email or talk by phone so I can figure out what is corrupted ? I have 80 people waiting on this project.

Dick Osso
dickosso@mac.com

Dick Osso

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]