ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Displace Z Space with luminance map/displacement map

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mathijs Luijten
Displace Z Space with luminance map/displacement map
on Jun 18, 2012 at 8:36:07 am

Hey guys,

I am trying to create a 'wave' effect for a grid. To make this I want to take the luminance of a fractal noise and connect the percentage between white and black to the Z space of each seperate part of the grid. Also I want to connect the opacity of the shadows to the luminance percentage.

Could someone please help me out with it? Cause since every part of the grid is a different shape I can't easily use trapcode form...

-
Mathijs

Return to posts index

Mathijs Luijten
Re: Displace Z Space with luminance map/displacement map
on Jun 18, 2012 at 8:37:25 am

http://images.creativecow.net/237066/screenshot2012-06-18at10.34.21am.png

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Jun 18, 2012 at 7:01:54 pm

It's hard to know exactly what kind of displacement you're hoping to achieve from your description. Depending on what you want to end up with the answer could be any one of these:

FreeForm AE - bundled with AE CS5 & CS5.5, my understanding is that it's no longer bundled with CS6. Can displace a single layer in 3D using a displacement map. Warps the layer.

Card Dance - standard AE plugin. Cuts up a single layer into many cards and allows you to displace or rotate them based on layer maps. Wouldn't warp the cards, just change their apparent 3D position.

Expressions - could allow you to displace the position of several layers based on the luminance of another layer. Wouldn't warp the layers, just changes their 3D position.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Chris Bobotis
on Jun 18, 2012 at 7:28:27 pm

Thanks for chiming in Darby. Agreed it is hard to tell what effect, exactly, Mathijs is going for. Mathijs please elaborate.

Darby you are correct. FreeForm is no longer bundled with CS6 but FreeForm V2 is available for CS5 + CS6. Same features but much, much faster. See: http://www.mettle.com/freeform-v2/

Cheers,
Chris
mettle.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]