ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Go To Next Marker Hotkey?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Caleb GreenGo To Next Marker Hotkey?
by on Jun 18, 2012 at 4:59:40 am

I'm having trouble finding out if there's a hot key for "go to next marker". I know holding shift and clicking will bring you to the nearest one, but I'm looking for a keyboard short cut.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Go To Next Marker Hotkey?
by on Jun 18, 2012 at 7:44:12 am

J and K go to previous and next items, including layer markers and keyframes.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
product manager, professional video software
After Effects team blog
Premiere Pro team blog

Return to posts index

David KinseyRe: Go To Next Marker Hotkey?
by on Feb 5, 2014 at 12:10:08 am

Hi Todd,

I know this is a very old post, but it came up while I was trying to find an answer to my problem in AE CC. While J and K advance the playhead to layer markers, they do not work for COMP markers. I did numerous searches on both Adobe and Google trying to find some keyboard shortcut to navigate between COMP markers. Could not find ANYTHING other than other users trying to find the same thing I was. I gave up. THEN sometime later, I was looking through the online keyboard shortcut help for something else when I came across the little section of 6 entries titled "Markers (keyboard shortcuts)" and there it was: 0-9 on main keyboard. I thought this would be a usable solution UNTIL I renamed the comp markers and discovered that the number shortcut doesn't work if you change the name to anything but a single digit number! UGH! This is really a glaring problem with navigation. Unless there is something I am missing??? Sure could use any guidance you might have.

- DK

Return to posts index

Lowell NilesRe: Go To Next Marker Hotkey?
by on May 21, 2014 at 12:15:22 am

Was there ever a resolution on this? I'm also trying to find the hotkey for going to the next comp marker.

Lowell Niles

Lowell Niles
Sunword Studios

Return to posts index

Alex SerbanRe: Go To Next Marker Hotkey?
by on Jun 30, 2016 at 2:42:36 pm

So clutch!!! This shortcut will transform my workflow. Ughers!
*Jumps back and forth between only the revealed timeline items*

Return to posts index

Marc LindemanRe: Go To Next Marker Hotkey?
by on Nov 29, 2014 at 4:54:51 pm

This is an easy one...

numbers 0-9 on your keyboard go to the corresponding compmarker.

press 1 on your comp and it goes to the 1st comp marker.. press 6 and it goes to the 6th marker, etc....

Easy peasy

Return to posts index

jean mathisRe: Go To Next Marker Hotkey?
by on Feb 13, 2015 at 4:31:30 am

Yup, but this doesn't work on macbook pro laptop. I guess we need to dig into some code to adjust that.

Return to posts index

Sylwia SzablakRe: Go To Next Marker Hotkey?
by on Dec 16, 2015 at 8:03:17 pm

What if you have multiple composition markers and you want to go to, for example, 11th marker?

Tryed to press "11" quickly, it goes to 1st compmarker...

Does anyone know how to navigate between two-digit numbered markers?

Return to posts index

Brendan ThompsonRe: Go To Next Marker Hotkey?
by on Aug 31, 2015 at 7:46:47 pm

So I've developed an extension for AE that attempts to solve this problem. It takes all the layer markers in a comp and adds them, and their data, to a sortable table. When you double click on a markers row in the table your timeline indicator will jump to that marker. Due to limitations whith the AE javascript API it doesn't work on comp markers, only layer markers.

I'm releasing it as an open source MIT licensed product. You can get it at

I have a demo video at .

It only works in AE CC 2015. Also, you will need to have extension manager CC. If you don't have extension manager you can change the extension to .zip and open it that way. You will have to manually install to your extensions folder if you don't use extension manager CC.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved