ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects CS6 Ray-Tracing GPU Hack

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik WaluskaAfter Effects CS6 Ray-Tracing GPU Hack
by on Jun 17, 2012 at 9:39:50 pm

If you don't already know, it turns out that if your Nvidia card isn't one of the "certified" cards you can add it to the "raytracer_supported_cards.txt" file to enable GPU features, just like with Premiere Pro.

I'm not sure which cards will work but I tried it with a GTX 460 and it works great and it REALLY speeds up the rendering, previews and interaction with the simple test scene I was experimenting with. Like with Premiere, you'll need a card with at least 1GB of memory.

The text file is located here on Windows 7
C:Program FilesAdobeAdobe After Effects CS6Support Filesraytracer_supported_cards.txt

You just open the text file and add your card to the list in alphanumeric order. If your computer won't let you save and overwrite the file you can just save it to your desktop and drag/drop it into the folder and replace it that way.

Once you've made the change and restarted AE you can confirm it's working by going to preferences>previews>GPU Information>Ray-tracing and it should now be set to "GPU" instead of "CPU" and your card info will be listed as well.

The GPU rendering works in all preview modes and during rendering and man does it make a HUGE difference! How much of a difference will probably vary but in my test scene it took about 17 minutes to render out a simple 5-second long 720p animation with just the CPU. I purged the memory and emptied the disk cache and rendered again with the GPU enabled and it took 33 SECONDS!!!

Adobe help:
GPU (CUDA, OpenGL) features in After Effects CS6

Here's an article that has quite a bit of info on the subject.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: After Effects CS6 Ray-Tracing GPU Hack
by on Jun 17, 2012 at 9:57:42 pm

I wish it was a simple hack like that for AMD/ATI cards- it is really frustrating to hear about the speed and not being able to get it on an otherwise great card. I really hope Adobe works something out with AMD

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: After Effects CS6 Ray-Tracing GPU Hack
by on Jun 17, 2012 at 10:18:32 pm

I hear ya, but in the meantime maybe you could pick up a GTX 460 or similar GeForce card? They're pretty reasonable compared to a quadro(about $140 and up) and seem to work very well. If you plan to use the ray-tracing and/or Premiere much then it seems like it would be worth it. Just a thought...

Return to posts index

Post removed.

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: After Effects CS6 Ray-Tracing GPU Hack
by on Jun 18, 2012 at 12:40:25 pm

AE's ray-tracing feature is based on nVidia's OptiX ray-tracing technology. I'm doubtful that it'll find it's way into other manufacturer's GPUs. The best bet is to get a ray-tracing supported GPU or wait for AE's CPU rendering of its ray-tracing engine to improve drastically. It should be noted that it is highly unlikely that CPU rendering will be faster than GPU rendering.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

by on Jun 26, 2012 at 3:52:23 pm

Update:
Tried this on an HP laptop with a Quadro FX 1800M and it works great.

CPU = Painful
GPU = Wow!

Return to posts index

Kim TaylorRe: After Effects CS6 Ray-Tracing GPU Hack
by on Aug 10, 2012 at 7:13:35 am

Hey Erik, sounds great!

When you say it speeds up the rendering, previews and interaction, I'm guessing this only applies to ray-tracing? Just wondering how much I'm actually gonna be using that!

Adobe's reason for limiting to certain 'recommended' GPU cards was that they could specifically test the program against these cards. I understand that AE's OpenGL features were a bit of a carcrash because of all the myriad untested GPU cards. Just wondering how many problems I might get if I opened up to an untested card...

Return to posts index

by on Aug 10, 2012 at 2:56:14 pm

Despite my blabbing on and on about this I really don't know much beyond what I've posted here. But yes, I believe that the GPU only works for raytracing in AE, although it does wonders in Premiere for editing as well. I haven't used it that much yet because it's on my home systems, not my work system...yet. Using an unapproved card might be a bit of a gamble, but like I said, it works great so far. I don't think I would even use the ray-tracing in AE without the GPU acceleration because it's just too slow and clunky.

Return to posts index

Andrew MinettRe: After Effects CS6 Ray-Tracing GPU Hack
by on Dec 7, 2012 at 7:41:02 pm

Oh yeah!

Thanks for the post.

I was cringing before but now my GTX 660M laptop card is magic for working in ray-traced 3D!

Now on to change my Premiere support.

Return to posts index

leif falkRe: After Effects CS6 Ray-Tracing GPU Hack
by on May 14, 2013 at 12:29:36 pm

Hi
I am testing this "hack" with a quite simple "GeForce GT 530", and it works very good, much faster than cpu rendering.
But if I start AE with this new entry in the "raytracer_supported_cards.txt", there is a permanent ventilation going on in my PC, which is otherwise not.
Even if there is only one empty composition, which is switched to "Classic 3D", and there is no action at all, the permanent ventilation doesn´t stop. Any thoughts on that?
Thanks a lot..

Return to posts index

by on May 14, 2013 at 2:52:10 pm

Sorry, not sure what you mean by "permanent ventilation".

Return to posts index

leif falkRe: After Effects CS6 Ray-Tracing GPU Hack
by on May 14, 2013 at 5:25:11 pm

oh sorry, I am not a native english speaker..
I just wanted to say, that the fan (I think the one of the graphic card, but maybe also the fan of the processor) runs relatively loud without stopping if AE is running, no matter if there is something to process or not.
If I delete my graphic card from that text file again, the fan doesn´t run permanently.

Return to posts index

by on May 14, 2013 at 6:02:40 pm

I'm not sure what could be causing the problem with the fans. I would suggest posting this in a new thread because this one is old and not many people will read it. Also, you will probably need to figure out exactly which fans are involved.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]