ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Selective AE lights?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Georgina LordSelective AE lights?
by on Jun 17, 2012 at 12:04:31 am

Is there some way to make an AE light only effect a specific layer? I know I can turn off 'accepts lights' on the other layers, however I want to be able to light those other layers with other AE lights.

For example, if I made a wall layer, and just in front of that I made another later (lets say an image of a car), how could I use a spot to light of the car layer, but not effect the wall layer and vice versa? An "ignore layer X" option in the AE lights setup would be ideal. :)

Return to posts index

Georgina LordRe: Selective AE lights?
by on Jun 17, 2012 at 12:47:35 am

Ahh... Please ignore my previous post. I just found Eran Stern's excellent tutorial on how to do this.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Selective AE lights?
by on Jun 17, 2012 at 1:26:11 am

For the sake of others reading this thread, here is the tutorial that Georgina is likely referring to:

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
product manager, professional video software
After Effects team blog
Premiere Pro team blog

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Selective AE lights?
by on Jun 17, 2012 at 9:39:20 am

The technique Eran explains works great in a space where you can set the order of the layers reversed to the actual 3d positioning. If you can't do that (maybe you have several layers at the same z depth), the Lights as adjustment layers will affect anything that is under them, so you may still get some lighting issues. In this situation there is a workaround as well. Precompose each layer you need to be individually lit, in the precomp turn the layer 3d, add a light or two to get the look you want. Back in the main comp turn the 3d switch for the precomp and you get what you're after. If you want to have controls over each light in the precomps without having to go inside every time you want to change something, you'll have to do a bit more work. You can link the controls for every light in the precomps with sliders in the main comp through expressions.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved