ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

stroke layer style anti-aliasing problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xav VonL
stroke layer style anti-aliasing problem
on Jun 14, 2012 at 10:16:43 pm

Hi folks !
I'm on an HD project in which I need thin color lines to have even thinner black strokes and those strokes just doesn't look as sharp as I need them to be.

Here's a screenshot to make it clear

The green line is basically a green solid with a mask on it, mask has a stroke effect set to "reveal original image", brush size is 3.

I found that using a inner shadow layer with zero distance and playing with size and choke settings gives slightly better results than the regular stroke thinggie but still not what I'm after....

I guess that simply doing a bigger line with a bigger stroke in a precomp and then downscaling the whole thing back would work but I'd truly like to avoid this option as I'm gonna have a lot of these animated lines and the whole thing would get boring to handle :/

Anyone knowing a workaround for this ?

thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: stroke layer style anti-aliasing problem
on Jun 15, 2012 at 6:39:57 am

Why not use a Shape layer and draw a shape - then you can control the outline easily and you get sharp vector graphics.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Xav VonL
on Jun 18, 2012 at 9:35:30 am

Thanks for the hint but how am I to use this shape layer then ?
I would have to not use the fill at all , use the shape's stroke as the "fill" of my line, and then how do I get this stroke stroked again ?

Perhaps I'm missing something obvious as I'm not very used to using those shape layers, sorry.....

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jun 19, 2012 at 8:12:10 am

You will need to draw the line as a shape, with fill and outline.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]