ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How do I get my first job?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabe Johnson
How do I get my first job?
on Jun 14, 2012 at 9:59:42 pm

Hello, I am wondering how I can get a job in digital media. I would rather work for a company since I have no real business experience and because I'm not really sure what it means to be a professional. I took AE classes at this crappy, overpriced place called Video Symphony and some more classes at a community college. Before that I was enlisted in the Navy for four years and before that I earned a BA in Film from CSU Long Beach where I learned little in the way of practical skills and a lot in terms of "critical thinking" and learning concepts and teminology related to the academic study of film. These included marxist film theory, semiotics and postmodernism. I also interned for a film producer answering phones, reading scripts and making errand runs for a couple major films. I've done a lot of tutorials and I shot, performed in, added effects and edited this video for one of my songs. Can anyone give me advice on what jobs I am qualified for? P.S. I need money, I'm staying at my moms but I can only be here temporarily.

Return to posts index

Gabe Johnson
Re: How do I get my first job?
on Jun 16, 2012 at 4:43:40 am

Thanks for all the help guys (sarcasm)

Return to posts index

niccolo ungaro
on Jun 16, 2012 at 9:08:42 pm

Hey Gabe... Never give up!
You are qualified for what you feel for and and not for anything else.
Work is work....

Try http://www.mandy.com/ & http://www.media-match.com

Return to posts index

niccolo ungaro
on Jun 16, 2012 at 9:10:58 pm

Ops I forgot :
http://jobs.creativecow.net/search.php

Return to posts index

Gabe Johnson
on Jun 16, 2012 at 9:51:17 pm

Thank you for that response, I am aware of those job sites but I don't know what type of job I should apply for. Should I just send my video to post houses and say I'll do any job?

Return to posts index

niccolo ungaro
on Jun 17, 2012 at 4:14:32 pm

There is no one else than you that can decide what is the proper job for yourself. You must read carefully what's best needed and ask your self if you are the one. Make a show real not longer than 45/55 seconds (not more).
From the video you have posted I think you are not an excellent d.o.p. But I may be wrong.
Keep studing every day and improve all your skills. Visit Videocopilot.net and ask yourself what Sir Andrew Kramer will think about your next choice.
Nock 1000 dors - only a very, very small percentage will reply. So get the job and make them happy.

Remeamber......Talent is cheap, you have to be possessed witch you cant'will, be in the right place at the right time.
Until you succeed.
Asta la victoria....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]