ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Pictures lose quality when transfered to after effects.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Kittavong
Pictures lose quality when transfered to after effects.
on Jun 14, 2012 at 7:27:28 pm

Hey Everyone,

I have a problem with my picture quality when i load it into after effects. I noticed that when i transferred it into the project board and then into the composition, the image loses its quality. Here's an example: http://www.ayykay.com/images/mob-icon.png . The icon on the left is the original source that is transferred into AE, as you can see, its a pretty crisp image, on the right is the same image placed in the composition. I'm out of ideas on how to fix this issue. I tried saving them differently in photoshop and etc, but nothing seems to work. Anyone have any idea? Here is my AE composition specs:

Adobe After Effects CS 5.5
Preset: HDV/HDTV 720 29.97
Width: 1280px
Height: 720px
Locked Aspect Ratio to 16:9 (1.78)
Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square Pixels
Resolution: Full

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Pictures lose quality when transfered to after effects.
on Jun 14, 2012 at 8:18:09 pm

That's a pretty tiny picture to actually see any change in image quality.

Does it have an alpha channel on it, perhaps? Is that the reason for the white edge on the right-hand picture? Do you need to re-interpret the footage so AE reads the alpha correctly?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alex Kittavong
on Jun 14, 2012 at 8:22:42 pm

The white edge you see around it is just a white stroke that is part of the image, i just saved it with a white background. You can definitely tell the difference in quality. The one on right is really fuzzy. Compare the MOB text in that image and it will help you tell the difference. It should have an alpha channel on it, its a transparent PNG.

Return to posts index

Jeff Hinkle
on Jun 14, 2012 at 10:34:19 pm

Just to cover all the bases: What are the dimensions and resolution of your original image? Are you having to scale it up larger in After Effects to get it full screen? Is your Quality switch in the timeline set to Best and not Draft?

Return to posts index

Alex Kittavong
on Jun 14, 2012 at 10:53:53 pm

I never scaled the image. It's always been at 100% scale. It is set to best quality. I never had this problem before until now also. I always used transparent png files in ae.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 15, 2012 at 3:57:21 pm

If the difference between a layer's anchor point and and its position is fractional (meaning the layer is positioned in between pixels), AE will use sub-pixel resampling, which may cause the image to appear soft due to anti-aliasing. This feature is absolutely necessary for allow smooth animation, but if you're not careful, it can cause a problem on a static shot, as you may be seeing here.

If the difference between the layer's anchor point and its position is an integer (meaning the layer is positioned exactly on the pixel grid), this resampling and anti-aliasing should not occur.

See this recent thread for more:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1018350

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]