ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Kernel Panic when ram previewing with audio

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jm Chadillon
Kernel Panic when ram previewing with audio
on Jun 14, 2012 at 6:06:50 pm

This is a problem ive always had on my imac. Every time im trying to ram preview with audio in my timeline i can get random kernel panics at certain points. Im thinking that this may be caused by the 12 gigs of ram that are installed, and how its not perfectly symmetrical as i started having problems related to this after i upgraded.

Does this sound ridiculous? Or is it a matter of just turning off a single switch or something. Im stumped.

Any help would be awesome!

specs are 27" iMac i5 2.7ghz 12 gigs of ram (2x2 gig apple sticks, 2x4 gig kingston sticks)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Kernel Panic when ram previewing with audio
on Jun 14, 2012 at 6:39:27 pm

Yeah, Macs are notorious for that little uh-oh. If you remove the Apple sticks and use only the Kingston sticks, does the problem persist?

If not, I'd get two more IDENTICAL Kingston sticks, which would bring you up to 16 gigs, and which also means you can take better advantage of multiprocessing. In AE, the more memory, the better.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jm Chadillon
on Jun 14, 2012 at 6:41:11 pm

actually i havent tried just the kingston sticks. I'll give it a shot. But im thinking at 80$ for 8 gigs of ram for my computer it would just make sense to bump up to 16. I'll try the kingston sticks alone when i have time.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 14, 2012 at 7:11:28 pm

If someone else doesn't chime in -- a real Mac hardware wonk, which I'm not -- you might want to ask about this on Apple's own user forums. Macs are very particular about the RAM they like.

Now, you may have done your homework on this particular topic already. You may already know that Kingston works well in Macs. I don't, so that's why I recommended the Kingston-only test.

Kevin Camp knows a lot about this stuff. If he isn't busy with his TV station chores, he may just stop by.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jm Chadillon
on Jun 14, 2012 at 7:14:58 pm

after getting another full lockup i decided to pull the samsung ram. Rendering on 8 gigs with mutiprocessing vs not i lost no real time on the render.

I did know that macs like kingston.

Also i didnt have any problems with the kingston only. Looks like its a 12 gig odd ram size issue.

I'll have to go out and get another 8 gigs sometime later on.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]