ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Is it possible to parent a layer to another layer in a different comp?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin BowserIs it possible to parent a layer to another layer in a different comp?
by on Jun 13, 2012 at 11:43:34 pm

I've got a Null with tracking data on it that I would like to parent several layers to in another scene. Currently this tracking null is just copy/pasted and parented individually in each of the layers, but I'd like to have be built a little more flexibly so all the tracking data is coming from one null, in case something needs to be tweaked or replaced.

I've tried doubling up my timeline's and pickwhipping the position of the null to that of the 'Master' null but it instantly comes up with an error saying it can't find the Null.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Is it possible to parent a layer to another layer in a different comp?
by on Jun 14, 2012 at 1:18:35 am

Parenting is possible only within the same comp. You'll need Expressions to do what you want.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Dustin BowserRe: Is it possible to parent a layer to another layer in a different comp?
by on Jun 14, 2012 at 1:24:58 am

Anyone have an idea what those expressions would be?

Return to posts index

Chris ButtacoliRe: Is it possible to parent a layer to another layer in a different comp?
by on Jun 14, 2012 at 1:32:47 am

Roland is right. Using expressions makes this a cinch. Double up the timelines like you were doing, but instead of parenting the child-nulls to the master-null, alt-click the transform properties of the child nulls and pic-whip each of those to the master-nulls corresponding properties.

Return to posts index

Dustin BowserRe: Is it possible to parent a layer to another layer in a different comp?
by on Jun 14, 2012 at 1:44:02 am

That is what I was doing. I tried pickwhipping the Position parameter of the child null to the Position of the Master null, but it instantly pops up with an error saying it 'can't find that layer' (referring to the master null layer).

Return to posts index

Chris ButtacoliRe: Is it possible to parent a layer to another layer in a different comp?
by on Jun 14, 2012 at 1:54:05 am

You are using the parent pick-whip. You need to use the expression pick-whip. Check out this: http://library.creativecow.net/articles/rabinowitz_aharon/Exp_Tips_1/video-...

From 1:20 to 1:25 is the all important pick-whip.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 14, 2012 at 2:02:08 am

Here is what the expression should look like in your child null's position property:

comp("MASTER_NULL_COMP_NAME").layer("MASTER_NULL_LAYER_NAME").transform.position

Return to posts index

by on Jun 14, 2012 at 2:59:46 am

That was it! Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]