ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Anyone using a top of the line iMac for serious work?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Antony BuonomoAnyone using a top of the line iMac for serious work?
by on Jun 13, 2012 at 10:59:59 am

Hi

I guess everybody knows the mess Mac Pro is in at the moment and I was wondering if getting a completely specced-up iMac would tide me over until next year. I have a MP from 2008 - 3.2 dual core with 16 GB of RAM.

I use After Effects and Cinema 4D for HD rendering. I'm a motion graphics designer, usually dealing with sequences of no longer than 30 seconds.

If anybody has any pointers, it would be greatly appreciated.

(I'm posting this on to the C4D forum too, I hope that's ok)

A

Vertigo Productions

http://www.vertigo.co.uk

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Anyone using a top of the line iMac for serious work?
by on Jun 13, 2012 at 2:06:58 pm

The top-of-the-line 2011 iMac will trounce your 2008 Mac Pro.

Likewise, even a mid-grade 2012 PC workstation will trounce the top-of-the-line 2011 iMac.

I'm a long-time Mac guy, but I've started using PCs alongside my Macs and I couldn't be happier. See my recent thread Mac Pro Alternatives [link] from the FCPX or Not forum for some more conversation about cross-platform workflows.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Antony BuonomoRe: Anyone using a top of the line iMac for serious work?
by on Jun 13, 2012 at 2:22:59 pm

That's good to know Walter, thank you. However, it is a little disappointing to know just how far Apple have fallen in this market. I haven't touched a PC for 15 years and I am positive that things are a lot better in that world than it used to be, but there are many things about Mac that I am comfortable with and am reluctant to let go, even though it has been crossing my mind more and more. Somehow it feels like the beginning of the end…

A

Vertigo Productions

http://www.vertigo.co.uk

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Anyone using a top of the line iMac for serious work?
by on Jun 13, 2012 at 3:07:24 pm

[Antony Buonomo] "I haven't touched a PC for 15 years and I am positive that things are a lot better in that world than it used to be, but there are many things about Mac that I am comfortable with and am reluctant to let go, even though it has been crossing my mind more and more. Somehow it feels like the beginning of the end…"

I count the beginning of the end around 2008. See my article FCPX and the Domino Effect [link] for my analysis.

I still like my Macs quite a bit, and I'm thinking about getting a new MBP with Retina Display, but raw performance hardware is PC-only for the foreseeable future. I'm very happy to have both Macs and PCs powering my little operation.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Craig ShamwellRe: Anyone using a top of the line iMac for serious work?
by on Jul 13, 2012 at 10:42:08 pm

Show me a PC Workstation that will "tide" you over with a screen like the 27iMac and I'll show you a real expensive workstation.
Look, the truth is with OWC adding a 32GB upgrade kit for memory in all 2011+ 27inch iMacs, it would "with ease" be able to handle all of your needs. I do have an external BD Drive, but other than that, along with external drives of course, my iMac is a joy to edit in FCPX with.
I am a photog too and I work with primarily RAW images and there is almost no lag time opening up multiple RAW files.
While I understand those who tout PC workstations, they rarely factor in the iMac's gorgeous Display!!
For just under 3Grand, you can't beat it!!
And no I do not work for MAC or anyone else...I am an editor on a budget and this has worked out better than I thought!!

Return to posts index

SPACE MANRe: Anyone using a top of the line iMac for serious work?
by on Jun 13, 2012 at 3:07:47 pm

SPACEMAN agrees with Mr Walter Soyka.
SPACEMAN has worked multi-platform for 15+ years and would not
be concerned in either single platform environment.
Both have pros and cons.
More inportantly, both have After Effects.
Enjoy, Explore, Encourage.

SPCMN.x

Return to posts index

Tom DaigonRe: Anyone using a top of the line iMac for serious work?
by on Jun 13, 2012 at 3:09:45 pm

Hi Walter. I enjoyed reading your Mac Pro alternatives Thread. It seems to be the topic of the hour.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com
Mac Pro 3,1
8 core
Nvidia Quadro 4000
24 gigs ram
Maxx Digital / Areca 8tb. raid
Kona 3

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved