ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to make titles/text slightly blur in or out like this? Very smooth.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danny MulenHow to make titles/text slightly blur in or out like this? Very smooth.
by on Jun 12, 2012 at 11:22:08 pm

https://vimeo.com/28885242

I see this popular title effect used a lot but never figured out how it's done so smoothly. It doesn't look like a regular gaussian blur which feathers the edges too much.

Anyone know how to achieve this?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: How to make titles/text slightly blur in or out like this? Very smooth.
by on Jun 13, 2012 at 1:52:12 am

It looks like the Camera Lens Blur(Hexagon) in 32bpc with the highlights turned on.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Danny MulenRe: How to make titles/text slightly blur in or out like this? Very smooth.
by on Jun 13, 2012 at 3:28:01 am

What do you mean by "highlights turned on"? Thank you for the help.

Maybe im doing this wrong but changing Iris Radius makes the blur shaped all funny. The blur in the original example seems to blur to the shape of whatever it blurs. Notice the A and the N look weird.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: How to make titles/text slightly blur in or out like this? Very smooth.
by on Jun 13, 2012 at 11:35:25 am

Sorry, it looks like you are working in a previous version of AE that doesn't have the "Camera Lens Blur" effect, that was released in CS5.5

I don't have access to "lens blur" anymore. Camera Lens Blur is a bit smoother than the older Lens Blur. There seemed to be a little blooming, that's why I suggested adjusting the "highlights" but you don't have access to that. Though I believe if you lower the specular threshold and increase specular brightness you will achieve the same effect.

As for the distortion, I'm not sure how to address this in lens blur other than try a different shape Iris.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

by on Jun 13, 2012 at 11:59:52 am

I created a project with the camera lens blur that I think comes pretty close to what you are trying to do. You could download the CS6 trial version and open the project, if you are interested. 4282_blur.aep.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]