ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Retina display macbook pro

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kate koyama
Retina display macbook pro
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:03:14 pm

Is it worth to buy the new macbook pro with retina display for someone who works with after effects? or would the 13 in macbookpro 2.9ghz suffice?

Things to consider:
—money
—time
—weight

Please let mw know, thanks!!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Retina display macbook pro
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:28:35 pm

If you have the money, definitively! I think the extra desktop real estate can help you, especially if you work with 1080, plus the new Nvidia cards make it a good choice for CS6.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:38:05 pm

Things to consider:
—money
—time
—weight
"

13 inch = less money

13 inch = dual core
15 in retina = quad core (more processes faster rendering) = time saving.

13 inch intel graphics
15 inch retina nVidia graphics = may support CUDA (unknown) = speed in After Effects 3D and many effects.

13 inch 2.96 pounds = lighter
15 inch 4.46 pounds

Unknown, how soon After Effects will have a retina version. Since the UI in After Effects has been developed for lower resolution displays, the current version will appear to have very tiny UI elements (buttons, text widgets). It will likely be possible to change the resolution on the retina display to 1440 x 900 until there's a retina update to After Effects though this is yet to be confirmed by Apple.

If you have the budget and can lug 4.46 pounds (still a pound lighter than the other 15in) go for the retina.

Return to posts index

kate koyama
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:54:04 pm

I see...

except for the 13, all of them have NVidia correct?

I was just wondering because besides the retina display there doesn't seem to be much of a difference.

The 13 in has 8 ram the same as the retina (even though it can go up to 16).
They are both i7.
however the 13 has hd graphics while the new retina has the nvidia.

but then if you compare both 15 inches. The 2.3 and the retina 2.3 one, the differenced seem minimal.
Of course the retina display is one big difference. But they both use i7.
Both have nvidia, but the retina one has flash storage...

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:12:10 pm

Decisions, decisions ...

Personally I'd go for the Retina over the other 15's.

Return to posts index

Nevin Styre
on Jun 12, 2012 at 11:59:55 pm

I'm looking at a new retina MBP to compliment my windows tower with creative cloud, though I will probably hold off until adobe updates CS6 to include the new GPU as officially supported for MPE and Raytracing in AE(seems really likely to me).

Return to posts index

Tim Ware
on Jun 18, 2012 at 1:01:45 am

[Brian Charles] "Unknown, how soon After Effects will have a retina version. Since the UI in After Effects has been developed for lower resolution displays, the current version will appear to have very tiny UI elements (buttons, text widgets). It will likely be possible to change the resolution on the retina display to 1440 x 900 until there's a retina update to After Effects though this is yet to be confirmed by Apple."

This is the most painful thing when you're used to having a large UI. Directing your mouse to tiny tiny icons is a nightmare.
As display resolutions keep getting higher this issue will keep getting worse, and Adobe need to do something about it. I'm an InDesign/Photoshop/Illustrator user.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]