ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Importing illustrator files - not separate layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly LawerImporting illustrator files - not separate layers
by on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:02:30 am

Hi,

An illustrator has designed some characters for us. I've imported the .ai files into the project panel - the only option I get is to import as footage or composition. When I import both as compositions, one of the ai. files (which is a character and background), comes through as two layers - the character and the background. The other ai. file simply comes through as one layer.

Looking at the instructions here (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906c6dea-7f7ca.html#WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906c6dea-7f54a) which I did ask him to follow, I cannot see where I select these additional options, such as "Create PDF Compatible File" in the "Illustrator Options dialog box"

Am I missing something, or is this something he has to do his end?

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Importing illustrator files - not separate layers
by on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:13:11 am

That's done on the AI side, during export/save.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Olly LawerRe: Importing illustrator files - not separate layers
by on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:18:58 am

Great. So when I bring into AE, then all the correct options will come up?

How can I check they have done all the things I need them to do correctly their end?

Also, when it says "set the Video And Film document profiles...at the appropriate size for video or film work" - if I'm working in 1920 x 1080, should I tell them to set it as this?

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Importing illustrator files - not separate layers
by on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:34:08 am

[Olly Lawer] "How can I check they have done all the things I need them to do correctly their end?
"

You can't. If you have AI, then you can always open the files and re-save.

[Olly Lawer] "Also, when it says "set the Video And Film document profiles...at the appropriate size for video or film work" - if I'm working in 1920 x 1080, should I tell them to set it as this?
"

Not necessary as AE is resolution independent. But if you think it helps to cut down on workflow issues between yourself and the artist then go for it. What's important is that they work in square PAR should they want to work in other resolutions.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Singapore and Malaysia
Adobe ACE/ACI (version 7) & Imagineer Systems Inc Approved Mocha Trainer

Return to posts index

Olly LawerRe: Importing illustrator files - not separate layers
by on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:52:50 am

To be honest, this is all fairly new to me, so whatever you think is best!

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Importing illustrator files - not separate layers
by on Jun 12, 2012 at 6:42:52 pm

Go to your Illustrator guy.

Tell him, "I need each part of the body in its own separate Illustrator LAYER. Please change the name of the layers from Layer 1, Layer 2, Layer 3, etc. to Head, Torso, Right Leg, etc."

Then you just import the Illustrator file into AE as a comp. There are two ways: layer size and document size, I believe. Experiment with both and see which one works best for you.

Unless they've made stuff for use in AE before, very few Illustrator people mess with layers: they put everything into one layer. It really bugs AE users, because usually they have to open the file in Illustrator, create their own layers, move the appropriate stuff into the appropriate layer, then re-save.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]